VR - why did my DS struggle with this ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jim's Dad

VR - why did my DS struggle with this ?

Post by Jim's Dad »

Perhaps pointless to ask.

At the end of the day he got a pass, just. And we're in catchment so should be ok although I am unsure whether he will have a choice now.

But why did he get 20/25 less points on the day than in practice ?

He had no private tutoring whatsoever, the only one in his class not to do so.
I just didn't realise that everyone was doing it, I assumed he was getting what he needed at school.
Very naïve as it turned out - it could have cost my son a place at grammar school.
With no past VR papers the only familiarisation tests he did were the GL assessment type.
Do the tutors have some insight into the proper standard VR questions in the actual papers ?

I know it shouldn't bug me, but I just feel we should be sitting here with a 320/330 mark.

Thoughts welcome....
Minesatea

Re: VR - why did my DS struggle with this ?

Post by Minesatea »

Last edited by Minesatea on Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Morgan0210

Post by Morgan0210 »

Hi, I totally know where your coming from, my dd vr 44/80 worst score she ever got! She always achieved minimum of 60s . My dd school done 2 practice vr papers and she done lots of timed papers at tutor group infact after test she said vr was easiest she ever and was hoping vr would boost her score as she felt maths bit tricky her maths score was good so totally baffled but she is over the pass mark so I'm not fussed just guess there must have either been some tricky vr qs , dd did mention she had 15mins spare so checked through and changed some answers rubbed box out so possibly computer marking marked incorrectly by sensing wrong box being marked ! O well we will never know x
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

Minesatea wrote:It certainly has nothing to do with the lack of tutoring as I know plenty of children who have been tutored over the years and not passed.
VR papers vary greatly in standard and GL assessment are easier than some . I did GL and Walsh with my Dd 3 years ago and she felt the real exam was closer in standard to walsh than GL. Also it is the final exam of the three and I think some children are beginning to flag by the end.
Interesting point regarding flagging - DS was at the delayed WHSB sitting and finished an hour later than should have well past normal lunch time, I wondered at the time whether that might have an effect. He also didn't have time for the last 15 questions other than to put down a random answer.

Hmmm
ahap

Post by ahap »

Vocabulary as well -this is where children lose marks mostly I think. A neighbour's DS sat the CSSE and said that there was more vocab. He had passed as well but not as expected they said.
Last edited by ahap on Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Apologies for the accidentally deleted post!
W.D.K.Y.M.Y.S

Post by W.D.K.Y.M.Y.S »

First post.....

Still struggling to come to terms with DS's VR performance. She has been so consistent with her scores in practice sessions and mocks across VR, English and maths for the last 9 months, with VR being her strongest.
She spent equal study time on all 3 subjects and if anything we spent more still on VR!

English and Maths results were consistent with Mocks, dropped off a few percentage points, but VR dropped off by 25-30% - she scored 42/80 when usually scoring 62-75/80.

Scored 302 OOC for Southend GS's.

She is so capable, L5 SATS etc - local comp is not great at all. Gutted is an understatement.

Im even thinking of asking for a re mark of this paper just to see where she went wrong. Or am I just persecuting myself???!
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

My DS was scoring 72/80 or more in his practice papers but ended up getting 53/80. I was really shocked and wondered if it was the way he marked his answers. I want to get his VR paper remarked (but by hand) but not sure if that is even possible. Anyone know?
babylonrass

Post by babylonrass »

stress worry pressure etc, its a totally different environment

Look at England in penalty shootouts, practice all day long..... but......
W.D.K.Y.M.Y.S

Post by W.D.K.Y.M.Y.S »

I acknowledge the "meltdown" reasons albeit for me, my DD has been so consistent all the way through and is pretty level headed. She went in and came out pretty calm. Id get it more if she had said it was really difficult etc (she did say it was more time pressured) but meltdown would have happened in maths or english.
Not making excuses, just really sad for her, and intrigued as to where it may have gone wrong. Not expecting there to be a mistake in the marking.

Fingers crossed for CCHS CEM. But we were never confident from the start on this one anyway given the volume of girls taking it etc !!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now