which school to choose......

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

zemruk

which school to choose......

Post by zemruk »

Without knowledge about the school, I visit Ricky,Parmiters and boys grammar. Was very impressed with Ricky,but....GCSE results not so high if compare with Parmiters and WGBS. My son get a score 256 (thanks to our Tutor), and extremely high result in music. Please help to choose and maybe some advice will be helpful. Thank you
angelaht

Re: which school to choose......

Post by angelaht »

I think - go with the school you are impressed with and where you feel your child will be most settled.

We looked around schools last year when dd was in year 5. Prior to looking I had viewed websites and I was sure that we would send her to Parmiters. However, when we did look round I felt that the environment was not at all suited to her. Instead, we loved Watford Girls - even though I wasn't expecting to.

This year we looked around again and I still preferred Watford Girls and, also St. Clement Danes - which we hadn't bothered with last year as I felt it would be too far to travel.

I know many people love, for example, Parmiters but my dd isn't "many people" she is one girl and the environment that she will be happy and settled is not the same as for other children!

If your son is bright he will be most successful if he is working in an environment where he is relaxed and happy. You need to decide on the school where your son will achieve success - and that will not necessarily be the school that turns out the best results. Sometimes it is a good idea to let your heart guide you.

Best of luck!!
zemruk

Post by zemruk »

Thank you for promt reply....
Unfortunatelly, I missed the time when everyone applied for Dames school, we ere moving, while was sorting out the documents, and all the travelling to London,I missed to registered him for exams. In last minute manage to apply for consortium test. Thanks God.
I wish my heart fill something, but not sure. Probably the best way to visit schools again and see how it's goes.
Does Parmiter got a good history?
angelaht

Post by angelaht »

Yes, Parmiter's is a very good school. The exam results are excellent and they also have a very good sporting tradition. It is worth phoning and making an appointment to visit because the school may well be the right one for your son. Does he have an opinion on his favourite? My daughter, to be honest, is a little reticent with her opinions!! I think she is very much influenced by my husband and I - I am not sure this is a good thing or not! But it is worth asking if your son prefers one school or the other.
I think a second visit may help you - especially seeing a school during the working day.
zemruk

Post by zemruk »

After getting a good results,I start thinking about private school.... but the time running so quick and it's hard to make a decision. I wish I be one of the parents,who planning in advance,well....I am ,but half year ago I didn't knew it that I HAVE to move to Watford area. Suddenly everything was chendge...
AH, poor our kids and parents. 10 years old and need to do exams,choosing the schools.....why so complicated.
WP

Post by WP »

zemruk wrote:Unfortunatelly, I missed the time when everyone applied for Dames school, we ere moving, while was sorting out the documents, and all the travelling to London,I missed to registered him for exams. In last minute manage to apply for consortium test. Thanks God.
Clement Danes allocates academic places using the same consortium test as Parmiter's and five other schools. So if you've done the consortium test, you are able to apply to Clement Danes under their academic criterion.
zemruk

Post by zemruk »

Oi!!!! Thank you. I didn't check properly.... Thanks a lot.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Hi Zemruk. I liked Ricky, CLD, Watford Boys and Parmiters in different ways when I looked round them last year. I think part of it boils down to do you pefer co-ed and on paper at least Watford Boys comes across as the more academic school (in my opinion that is). Also how easy it is to get to the schools. My son started the boys school this year and I have been really impressed so far; particularly with the pastoral care which seems to be outstanding. I think this is probably one of the key ingredients to their success.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now