Rugby School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Prupin

Rugby School

Post by Prupin »

I would appreciate any info from anyone who has a child at Rugby School or who has looked into it. Any idea of the sort of bursaries they may offer? The school is pretty quiet about financial assistance. Unfortunately we are not eligible for a scholarship.
General bursary advice also appreciated if your child attends another independent school. If a family is earning less than £30k what might the bursary be as a percentage??
HELP APPRECIATED!!

Bursaries

Post by Guest »

My daughter was given a Scholarship worth 50% we declined and accepted the place at a state Grammar, they then came back to us and topped it up to 75% with something they call an Assisted Place. It was means tested. We still had to get help from other sources to enable her to go. They did keep her a place, even though they were over subscribed in the hope that she would be able to go.

Unfortunately they do not take into account other outgoings other than Mortgage payments. We are well under the 30k.

Hope this helps.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Was this Rugby School or another independent?

Post by Guest »

No it was not Rugby sorry!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you. oh well... a girl can hope! :?
Anyone else with info about salary v bursary would be welcomed with open arms!! :lol:
KES parent

Re: Rugby School

Post by KES parent »

Prupin wrote:I would appreciate any info from anyone who has a child at Rugby School or who has looked into it. Any idea of the sort of bursaries they may offer? The school is pretty quiet about financial assistance. Unfortunately we are not eligible for a scholarship.
General bursary advice also appreciated if your child attends another independent school. If a family is earning less than £30k what might the bursary be as a percentage??
HELP APPRECIATED!!
I'm sure the school will tell you if you ask them the question. We have never approached Rugby, but one of our sons was at a similar calibre school and they pulled out all the stops to help. None of the schools we have asked have ever been reticent about providing all the information needed, including Eton. Rugby is a very expensive school if you have to pay full whack, but all you need to do is ask them what is available, especially if you have a very clever child.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Yes I do have a clever child and I am hoping he will be able to demonstrate that in the tests. My concern is that we cannot really afford to pay anything if I am honest, yet I have heard many times on this forum examples of children who have to turn down places as the amounts offered are ridiculously low.
I know I shouldn't EXPECT to be given something for nothing and I know that my husband and I need to work really hard to send a child to an independent school but it is so hard to know that we are probably in the income bracket where we earn too much to be offered much but earn too little to be able to afford the fees.
perplexed

assisted places

Post by perplexed »

Many years ago I had a 100% assisted place at an independent school (not Rugby, but nevertheless highly selective). This lasted for a period of time until my parents' income rose; it was regularly means tested. I think over time the assistance fell to whatever the minimum level there was for an academic scholarship.

The moral of the tale is be sure that, if you do get a much higher level of assistance and you take up the place, you understand on what basis the amount you pay could rise. It would be even more upsetting to take up the place and then leave, than never have been there!

Good luck
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Aye, there's the rub! This is why I suppose some parents then keep their incomes artificially low by not accepting promotions. pay rises etc.
Thank you for the warning.
KES parent

Post by KES parent »

Ed's mum wrote:Yes I do have a clever child and I am hoping he will be able to demonstrate that in the tests. My concern is that we cannot really afford to pay anything if I am honest, yet I have heard many times on this forum examples of children who have to turn down places as the amounts offered are ridiculously low.
I know I shouldn't EXPECT to be given something for nothing and I know that my husband and I need to work really hard to send a child to an independent school but it is so hard to know that we are probably in the income bracket where we earn too much to be offered much but earn too little to be able to afford the fees.
Try KES is you live near enough - they have an incredibly generous bursary scheme - you can earn up to about £72,000 and still get something.