Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
watergirl

extra info

Post by watergirl »

There will be an extra allocation of places at
King Edward VI Handsworth School
this year ( info from the head at the open evening). With this in mind will the previous score of 216 be affected. Many thanks for replys
Okanagan

Re: extra info

Post by Okanagan »

Maybe. Did he give any idea how many extra places?
watergirl

Post by watergirl »

Just contacted the consortium who said we will receive two letters, one of which will be the results letter the second letter will be extra information regarding the " possibility of extra places at King Edwards V1 Handsworth ". I did press her as to how many and if there would be extra places at other schools but she wouldn't comment. Hope this helps
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

The headteacher at Handsworth had said that she was hoping to add another class in Year 7, but the process was very long-winded. I therefore presumed that it was something she was hoping would happen in the future. Fingers crossed that it will definitely happen this year!!! :D
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

Seems a little unfair on the boys as there are already 30 more places for girls in the ke consortium single sex schools (I think! 120 pan camp hill girls 90 in the boys)..??? Please correct me if i am wrong!
um

Post by um »

Yes, the Head at KE Handsworth did say on open evening that they were planning to have an additional class in 2014.

However, give the birth rate rise in 2003, I am not entirely sure this will lead to a significant drop in the last score in.

Anecdotally, I have noticed that in every school my daughter has been in (she has attended 3) plus her nursery school before that, her class/year group was overwhelmingly female.
Even now I think there are only about 6 boys in her class!
Does anyone have statistics on the male/female ratio for this year group? Do your current Year 6 children also have majority girls in their year?
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

State or private? I'm sure the gender ratio is most likely 50:50 in live births! Or slightly more boys? I know sex selection is illegal but it does happen. .... Just googled it and on the government website there is a report on birth ratios/gender and figures are 105.1 males to 100 females. Described as "within the normal boundaries for poulations". Apparently above 108 would be unlikely to occur naturally.....
Thegodfather

Post by Thegodfather »

Reading on the figures are for 2007-2011.... Always more boys...
indigop

Post by indigop »

From my dim and distant days of studying. There are more boys born but more baby boys will die and as young children and die younger overall. Biologically men are weaker but physically stronger. I have found the spread to be quite even really. I was always told 2003 was a low birth year and dds oversubscribed primary was undersubscribed in this year. It has remain oversubscribed ever since.
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

There are 20 boys and 10 girls in my daughter's Year 6 class.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now