Colchester vs Chelmsford County High for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cetaylormade

Colchester vs Chelmsford County High for Girls

Post by cetaylormade »

Hello

Just wondering firstly how many girls sat both tests and what is their likely first choice going to be and secondly if anyone has any views on which school they prefer and why? We are in catchment for Chelmsford but closer to Colchester and unsure which to put as first choice!
Defra

Re: Colchester vs Chelmsford County High for Girls

Post by Defra »

Hi

Thanks for your post - am in a similar situation but OOC for both. According to Chelmsford Letter, 848 girls sat CEM. Not sure of Colch.

With dd's results she is likely to be offered either if we place as first choice on CAF.

We are visiting both schools for the Information Evenings next week. However, I have found Chelmsford staff to be rude and abrupt in my dealings with them and heard that the school is really rigid and not very friendly to those children who are not the high achievers (this is based on info from parents whose dds do attend the school). On the other hand, I have had a lovely experience with Colchester staff and heard good reviews from parents whose dds attend.

Just wondering if anyone else has a negative feeling towards Chelmsford on the 'lack of friendliness' front. I want dd in a school where its not just all about the academics but a loving environment too :(

Any contradictions to the above gratefully received.
KB

Post by KB »

Have a look at threads over last few days - there are a few positive comments about Chelmsford as well.
talea51

Post by talea51 »

cetaylormade wrote:Hello

Just wondering firstly how many girls sat both tests and what is their likely first choice going to be and secondly if anyone has any views on which school they prefer and why? We are in catchment for Chelmsford but closer to Colchester and unsure which to put as first choice!
My dd sat both tests and has a chance at a place at either CCHS or WHSG. I don't know which we will put first, still trying to make that decision.

We are in catchment for Chelmsford and it's closer than WHSG but the bus to WHSG goes from very close to my house so it probably makes the overall journey about 30 mins per day longer if dd goes to WHSG rather than CCHS.

We went to look at Colchester and my dd really liked it. If we lived closer to Colchester, it would be my first choice. They are higher up the league tables for A level and GCSE results than CCHS and have been for a good few years. The only down side to ColCHS in my opinion was that the school seemed a bit run down compared to CCHS. CCHS seemed to have much better facilities but we really liked the feel of ColCHS and if we didn't live too far from it, it would most definitely have been our first choice.

I don't know if that helps you at all! :lol:

If anyone is in a position to help me in trying to decide between CCHS and WHSG, then please do! :D
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I've never been to WHSG, but I have one DD at Colchs and have visited CCHS a few times. All the schools are equally good in my view, you really can't pick a school on league tables, they can go up a couple of places one year and down the next depending on the year group. They are a guide, as are ofsted reports. They don't necessarily tell you what the value add is, after all a school with a selective intake should be at the top end of the league tables.

Personally I would go with my gut feeling and consider travel time. If I had a choice, which I don't this year, I would pick the one closest to home so that my child is not too tired and can join in social activities with friends at weekends.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now