SGHS passes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

brooke68

SGHS passes

Post by brooke68 »

DD passed Ripon and SGHS selection but we are currently OOA and, although moving up asap, our eldest DS is in Y11 so obviously we want to cause as little disruption as possible to his GCSE year so cannot move up as quickly as we would like.
I was wondering if anyone knew where I might find information on the number of girls passing SGHS selection this year, both in and out of area, as I understand that Ermysted's has only 91 boys passing in total.
Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: SGHS passes

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Brooke68

Not sure what the number of SGHS passes is this year - last year was the first year in which they tested EGS and SGHS seperately - before that the info was given for both with the results.

What info and figures did they give you?

H
brooke68

Post by brooke68 »

From Ripon we had the standard NYCC letter with all the info on pass numbers but from SGHS it was just a letter saying 'We are delighted to inform you that your daughter has met the required standard etc.'
As we are OOA I just wondered which school we would stand a better chance with.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Ripon is very hard if OOA - nearly all the places go to in area and then the OOA areas barely reach Harrogate (I think - Snowdrops will probably know the distance)

With Skipton - there have usually been 40-45 boys and 40-45 girls in Catchment who pass - the remaining places (112 at each school) are made up of OOA. Last year loads missed out at EGS on distance - it went about 6-7 miles - this year it looks like they will all have places.

I think you need to have a chat with the school about the numbers - though whatever I suspect that Skipton is going to be more hopeful than Ripon though by no means certain.

Where are you moving to?
brooke68

Post by brooke68 »

We were looking to move to Ripon (for practical/work reasons, although DH would have to move up alone for a while so that DS can complete his GCSEs) and wondered whether we could appeal on oversubscription as we hope to have an address in catchment by the time the appeals came round. Do you think that would be a no-hoper? DD is looking at high level 5s and level 6s in her SATS (was level 5 at the end of Y5) so we really feel a grammar school would suit her. Just wondered if SGHS had fewer passes over the MAL, in which case perhaps we should shift our attention to moving to Skipton. Phew, this is hard work!
brooke68

Post by brooke68 »

Ripon have 74 in area and 65 OOA, so 22 over MAL. We are relocating from South Yorks so we know we would be at the bottom of the list on distance but I have seen examples on another forum of families in a similar position to us winning places on appeal.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

On allocations' day my dd was 3rd on the waiting list. We live on the very edge of Harrogate and I know of at least one child in dd's year who lives in the next closest village (Killinghall).

I've located a map which shows the catchment area. Personally, if I had to do it again, I'd choose to live in-catchment. My nerves wouldn't stand up to it again.

The lad next door's going for it next year, fingers' crossed for him.

Statistically, of all those applying for it, whether they pass, fail or live OOC, they have a two in three chance of getting in (171 apply for 117 places).

The best place for information is to ring education at County Hall. The information isn't secret and they'll happily tell you.

If you're appealing on over subscription you need a really, really good reason why it HAS to be that school and no other. For instance, your dd studied astronomy and wanted to take a GCSE in it, you could concievably argue that, as Ripon Grammar offered this subject and no other secondary in the area does (to my knowledge, which is now 6 years old, so could be out of date :oops: , needs researching) that only THIS school was suitable. Of course you'd have to be able to prove she already studied it, by attending a club or something.

When is hubby moving up. Is there any chance of dd moving up with him whilst ds stayed with you in situ.

Have you thought of applying for a boarding place for her. Most children tend to go home at weekends and some only do it for a year then change to day pupils.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

And of course it would be helpful if I actually included the link too :lol: :lol:

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/recruitmen ... School.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

More statistics:

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/media/1319 ... s_for_web_(3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)_Final.pdf
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

SGHS map

http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/recruitmen ... School.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;