Does age make a difference at a GS?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedalready1

Does age make a difference at a GS?

Post by stressedalready1 »

I'm just curious to hear from people who have children at a grammer school whether the month the child is born in makes any difference to how they cope with the work? My DS is a summer child whereas all his friends that passed are Sept and Oct born.

Wouldn't be me if I didn't have something to worry about!! :lol:
moved

Re: Does age make a difference at a GS?

Post by moved »

No problem from what I've seen. The differences in maturity are huge as they go through grammar and far bigger than those few months.
bravado

Post by bravado »

From what I've seen so far, it doesn't seem to have made a difference with DD2 who was a "later-in-the-academic-year" child.
Flanker3105

Post by Flanker3105 »

Grammar school or not, I can't believe it makes that much difference, but I always felt cheated at school personally having been born at the end of May - what I potentially could have achieved given a extra nine months!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't think it makes any difference - there are high fliers born in all months of the year
stressedalready1

Post by stressedalready1 »

Thank you for all your replies, was interested to hear other peoples views.

Totally agree with you Flanker3105... I often wondered this too... The 'what if' scenario!
KB

Post by KB »

Have seen big range of maturity in year 7 and no apparent correlation to age.

Would advise all parents to encourage independence through year 6 and over summer holidays (taking responsibility for homework, taking kit to school etc, delivering letters from 'book bag' rather than you searching through :) and then practising travel over the summer, accompanied and then alone (with you following at first if necessary!)

Practical and organisational issues are more likely in year 7 than struggling with the work, whenever the birthday but they all seem to get through it with a few lost PE kits the main casualties :)
Bizziemum

Post by Bizziemum »

Flanker3105 wrote:Grammar school or not, I can't believe it makes that much difference, but I always felt cheated at school personally having been born at the end of May - what I potentially could have achieved given a extra nine months!
There is another way of looking at this. My two DS's both now at GS are summer born, one end June and one end July. They both excelled at primary and doing great at GS too. My view is that being what they are, being one of the youngest in the class has given them the competition that they need, something to kick against so to speak, would that have been the case if they had been born a couple of months later? - especially while at primary. So maybe it all evens out in the end. Anyhow, it's likely that if they're good enough to get in, they're up to it, irrespective of age. But then I'm November born and needed all the help I could get, so what do I know! :lol:
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

KB wrote:Practical and organisational issues are more likely in year 7 than struggling with the work, whenever the birthday but they all seem to get through it with a few lost PE kits the main casualties :)

so true! this is the main complaint I get from DD1's teachers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now