A-Level confusion?

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
catwoman

A-Level confusion?

Post by catwoman »

Please help !

My Dd is planning on taking A-levels in the Art Subjects, such as Photography, Textiles etc, later on if she decides to go to University and want to engage in a more academic subject such as Law or Medicine, will these A-level subjects jeopordise her chances of being able to apply for degrees such as these?

Or do Universities just look at the grades of the A-levels rather than the subjects? :?
hermanmunster

Re: A-Level confusion?

Post by hermanmunster »

they look at the subjects and the grades

Medicine requires Chem, most unis want biol and pref maths and an essay subject.

Law is very much depends on which Uni.

Trinity Cambridge have commented on subjects :
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
have a look at the lists lower down the page
KB

Post by KB »

this will also be helpful

http://russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that the blunt but honest answer is that the choices your DD is considering are likely to make it very difficult to get a place on an academic course such as Medicine or Law.
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

However, some universities now have foundation courses, etc for such an eventuality. My daughter is in halls with a girl who did art/photography A levels and is doing a pre-vet course and will then go on to do the normal vet degree.

Mind you, she is struggling already and there is, apparently, a 50% drop out rate.
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Thank you all for your useful comments. I think the consensus is that my Dd needs to have another think about her A-Level options, thanks again.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

I know someone who is currently doing VetMed who did art A level - I think you can probably get away with one - to AS at least. It sounds like your daughter is more interested in a career in the arts?

In general I would say that if you are able then A levels are not the end of the story. You can do access courses which enable entry to older people without relevant A levels - not everyone has a set career in mind at 16/17. Bear in mind though that if she applies to uni for an arts course and gets a loan etc it may be a case of full fees if she wants to do a more academic degree later on.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now