Missed open evenings

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Mstar

Missed open evenings

Post by Mstar »

My dd has taken AGGS & Urmston exam, due to take Sale this Saturday & UGS on the 14th Oct (missed due to illness).

We always thought that if she didn't pass Sale then she would go to Ashton On Mersey so we only checked out Sale's open day. Now we're panicking! What if she passes one of the other Grammar Schools that we didn't look around? Or she doesn't pass any GS & doesn't get onto Ashton.

Are schools used to people calling to look around schools after results? Do they mind this?

My dd has said that other girls in her class really like ACA & she wished she had looked around that school. I feel I have left it too late to be deciding about what schools to put on our LEA forms - Help! Any advise on schools, Grammar or not? We live in Sale.

Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Missed open evenings

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I believe the catchment for AOM is pretty tight and they are oversubscribed every year- so it depends where you live in Sale.

ACA got a good Ofsted report this year.

I am sure any school would allow you a look round.
sydney

Post by sydney »

ACA positively encouraged return visits at the open evening, so do give them a call.

AFAIK AOM's catchment is shrinking, but birth rates seem to impact more years than others.

Personally I prefer Sale High to ACA, but I know that's not a popular choice.
Mstar

Post by Mstar »

Thank you for your responses, I have arranged to visit ACA next week with my dd, hearing good things about ACA. Although def in catchment for AOM now thinking a smaller school maybe better, will post after my visit.
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

I can highly recommend ACA, my yr 10 daughter goes there, is extremely happy, school is great fun, small and friendly, caters well for smart kids too, she found grammar tests too pressurising and ran out of time, but she's still an A* student, and absolutely loves school!
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Hi Sydney

We are trying to decide between ACA and Sale High. I'd be really interested to know what you prefer about Sale High. Both schools seem to have lots of strong points.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Dont forget that Knutsford Academy take children from the Trafford area too. Many people assume they are out of catchment. :)
Mstar

Post by Mstar »

Thanks elizabethswan, my dd & I went to see ACA yesterday & I have to say we were both very impressed. It has a lovely feel to it & the lady who showed us around, mrs speakman (I think) was obviously very passionate about the school & also about keeping the intake to 169.

We looked around AOM today & we were both disappointed, it seemed a bit small for the number of students, I don't like how they stream the children, they put your child in a set for all subjects. I really do not understand this other than they have too many pupils to focus on individuals & subjects!

The cafeteria is way too small for the number if students, and alarmingly they had to take an extra 20 children I to this years 7 because LEA told them to!! They had to creat a new class, they said they had no say in the matter & that may continue- how big can the school get? The teacher at ACA says she sits in every appeal & fights to keep the intake at 169 & wins.

ACA all the way for me, p,us my dd said as soon as she walked into ACA she belonged.

Now just the logistics of getting there & back :?
sydney

Post by sydney »

Hi, I don't know how helpful I can be in answering you to be honest, because for me its gut feeling on this one. Hard to quantify I know! I think the head at SH is determined, the staff enthusiastic and they know they still have to work at it. The OFSTED was a blow to them obviously, but every child achieving x levels of improvement is a tall order. I had a good chat with her at the open evening, and felt confident. The parents I know who have children at SH rate it and the children are doing well. Bright ones are encouraged and challenged, and I think they feel valued. It's had a poor reputation in the past and I think it is still shaking that off.

It also has more space, and good sports facilities which is a big thing for us.

I also saw ACA on Wednesday (same tour maybe?) and whilst the teacher who showed us round was very good, the facilities are good, the children behaved well during class change over and in lessons, it just didn't inspire me. It has done well, and achieved its outstanding status which I'm sure it will maintain. The children I know of at ACA seem happy to be there.

I'm sorry I can't be anymore specific than that. Choosing a school is a personal and individual thing isn't it? It's also a minefield and not easy at all in my limited experience!
discreetmum

Post by discreetmum »

Hi

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think you're right re gut feeling which perhaps we overlook these days. You can do all the analysis, read the reports, ask others but in the end it comes down to instinct as to which school would best suit your child. I have only done the open days so perhaps the school day tours would help.

Good luck everyone with your choices.