Camphill girls or handsworth girls?????

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Honeyline

Camphill girls or handsworth girls?????

Post by Honeyline »

Congratulations to each and everyone for working hard, never mind the results. My dd has scored 233 and wants to go to CH. we live in Walsall and my ds is already goin to CH but worried can my dd do the journey like my son. I can also opt for Handsworth, can someone advice please. Iam totally confused what should I do?
sasa

Re: Camphill girls or handsworth girls?????

Post by sasa »

Why do you think the journey to CH would be harder for your DD than your DS?

Does she get on with her brother, so travelling together would be one less thing for you to worry about (or don't they get along and that's the problem?!).

Would your DD be better off travelling the same route as the brother or gaining more independence by tackling the route to Handsworth and making friends to travel with?

I have a friend with a DD at Handsworth and she is very happy there. Has your DD shown a preference or is she happy to go anywhere? I think both schools are excellent, and would be happy for my DDs to be at either, but having both of them at the same school does simplify life somewhat!

It is the family logistics you may need to consider most. If we get another snowy winter, these things can be quite a worry if the option to walk home is not there when all traffic grinds to a halt!
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I am also confused. If my DS was going to CH then it would be far easier to choose CHG for my DD as they would travel together. It makes it even easier as you say your DD wants to go to CH, so why even consider Handsworth, especially when you have QMHS close by too?

From experience there isn't much between the Grammar schools, so choose the easiest one to get to.
Bubbles44

Post by Bubbles44 »

moseleymum - My daughter likes both Five Ways and Camp Hill Girls, and to be honest so do I. They are equally brilliant, so we cannot decide between the two. Would you suggest that we just choose the one nearest to home (for us that would be Five Ways)?
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

A school nearer home is definitely appealing. School is tiring. Travelling is tiring. So although kids do travel far and wide to the grammar schools, if you have the option of a place at great school AND extra time at home for studying, playing, chilling or sleeping, I think it's a no brainer.
Bob1892

Post by Bob1892 »

Turtlegirl wrote:A school nearer home is definitely appealing. School is tiring. Travelling is tiring. So although kids do travel far and wide to the grammar schools, if you have the option of a place at great school AND extra time at home for studying, playing, chilling or sleeping, I think it's a no brainer.
I would DEFINITELY second that (following on from our dd's experience).
HappyRobot

Post by HappyRobot »

I would agree...nearer is better.

I see the kids who go to the local schools and they are out and playing just after 4pm (earliest) after doing their homework...the grammar kids get in just before 5pm, and I don't see them out playing.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I do understand the dilemma, I had it too!

Don't want to repeat everything so have reposted:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 64&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also
moseleymum wrote:
UmSusu wrote:Hi m/m,glad it went ok. Which school did you pick then?
Hi UmSusu. After taking advice from a friend with daughters in both KEHS and CHG, fm and others, decided that all the schools are much of a muchness so went with the closest grammar I.e CHG.

We had already ruled out KEHS after going around again after results, despite it being next door to my sons school and therefore very convenient.

As for the previous CHG v KEVIHS dilemma, I managed to change preference to CHG a week after deadline without a problem. As soon as I changed preference, DD was completely on board and happy. Made me wonder why she was pushing for KEVIHS at all :roll: in any case, everyone is happy and the drop off today was so easy that I feel it was the right choice. As it happens, no one in her year at primary chose KEVIHS so it made everything easier.
In my case CHG was the nearer school, but having another child in the same/next door school would have swung it too. Children are resilient and will manage in the end. I loved Handsworth but went with my gut feeling, changed to CHG and haven't regretted it at all.
Honeyline

Post by Honeyline »

Thanks all for ur guidance, I guess my dd wants to go to CH and woke up early this morning to prove me that she can wake up early and get dressed like her brother to get to school, so decided if she is so determined then it shall b the way she wants.
:)
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Honeyline wrote:Thanks all for ur guidance, I guess my dd wants to go to CH and woke up early this morning to prove me that she can wake up early and get dressed like her brother to get to school, so decided if she is so determined then it shall b the way she wants.
:)
That's cute! She's worked hard for her well deserved place so let her go where she wants. I mean it's not like she's choosing a bad school - it's a really great one! She will adapt, it's part of growing up :) .