Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
popeye12

Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High?

Post by popeye12 »

Hi all

Wonder if any parents of children in Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High can comment on their experiences. We visited both of the girls schools last week but still undecided which one to put down as first choice.

Dr Challoners High has good facilities and structure but seemed to over rely on its reputation. Beaconsfield High seemed to focus on the all-round skills of the person rather than just academic. Both are less than 5 miles away.
missmarple

Re: Beaconsfield High or Dr Challoners High?

Post by missmarple »

Beccy High is an amazing school - superb results and excellent pastoral care. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which one are you in catchment for? DCHS has the advantage of some activities with DCGS whereas Becky High has no school nearby (except the Upper school) to join up with.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

Completely agree with missmarple, the academic and pastoral care my dd has received at Becky High has been exceptional. The extra-curricular clubs are fantastic in both variety and content.
I would recommend this school and more importantly so would my dd!
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I guess a big question is which school is your DD more likely to get into wrt catchment etc?

Agree with Missmarple and Kiwimum about Becky High.

My DD is in Y9 and I am very impressed with the high academic expectations, excellent communication and the variety of extra curricular activities on offer. My DD loves drama and has been in school productioms of Oliver, Nicholas Nickleby and this year they have joined up with the school over the road to stage We Will Rock You. Fabulous! There are lots of sports, music, dance and other clubs too such as maths squad and a newspaper team.

With respect to "joining up" activities, BHS do team up with RGS to host Y7/Y8 discos (which are very popular)!

Also to add that the Head at Becky High (she has been there for just over a year now) is a strong and caring person who seems well respected by the pupils.
popeye12

Post by popeye12 »

Thank you your replies, so its 3-0 to BHS. Fortunately we are in catchment for both schools. Love to hear what DCHS parents think about the school.
ManfromMissenden

Post by ManfromMissenden »

For what its worth my daughter is in year 10 at DCHS and I'm a fan of the school, but that's not really the point; unless people posting have a child in each you can't really have an objective informed comparison from parents on the forum (including myself), there is a natural tendency for parents to "big up" the school that they chose for their daughter. I think you need to feel your way through it yourself ..
I found that current pupils at the schools provided a good window on the real experience, my only advice if you have been to open evenings and done extra visits to each would be to try and find some and get your daughter to chat to them.

I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever choice you make.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hence my post as a 'neutral'; not having a child at either.

Go round both and be realistic about which to place number 1.
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

ManfromMissenden wrote: unless people posting have a child in each you can't really have an objective informed comparison from parents on the forum (including myself), there is a natural tendency for parents to "big up" the school that they chose for their daughter.
Or we just gave our genuine feelings about the school our daughters attend without passing comment on another school which we have no knowledge of.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You are lucky to be in the catchment of two excellent schools so you need to see which you think would suit YOUR daughter best. I don't know people with DDs at DCHS but I am aware of a reputation for girls to be very happy at BHS so long as they fit the mould. I know of several who have left because they didn't and are happy elsewhere. The only way to know is to visit and ask questions.
scary mum