ABGS-out of catchment.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Oshosh

ABGS-out of catchment.

Post by Oshosh »

Good morning everyone,

I am trying to do my DS school application. DS has sat for sale, alty and another school in a different area. His score is 370+ for alty and we waiting anxously for Sale. For the other school is, he is top category, and if we choose to put it as first choice, it is in the bag.
However alty and sale has always been our choice. I called the alty admissions to find out what this score actually mean. Well, the lady basically said things usually dont differ alot from the pervious year, as the turnout for the exam this year was the same as last year. But offer does not come from the school but from the local authority.

I am in a turmoil now, as for cutoff of ooc, no one will know this until allocation. So i am not so sure if i can be confident to put Abgs as first choice.

I welcome any thoughts. We are very happy with my son's scores and hard work. But i don't want to give false hopes to DS. Realistically, can we be confident?

Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Re: ABGS-out of catchment.

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I would be very surprised if you were not offered a place with a score of 370 plus.
Sale I know its more up and down , but they have offered out to the far isde of Stockport before now.

In any case blind preference will ensure you get the school which can offer you a place, as the ones above are discounted if they can't.So put Alty,Sale,third school in that order and you will be fine.The fact that it is offered by local authorities is not relevant as they coordinate with each other.

Does that reassure you at all? As I said, I think Alty is in the bag for you.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks TM, very much appreciated. :D

I never worried about DS school work or abilities...he just gets on with it. But the last year, i feel i have become a different person... paranoid :? Nervous about everything to do with DS. I sometime wonder if it is all these exams. :?: Your words are very reassuring, and as usual sensible. Thank you.
parents666

Post by parents666 »

Hi Oshosh
370 plus is a great score! I wonder why u said in your previous post that your DS didn't score enough for OOC area!! Congratulations to your DS....
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello,

No that's not me. i never really revealed my ds score up till now, i did give some indication...just like above.

but thanks for you wishes though
JSN

Post by JSN »

relax , go buy the uniform and work out the bus routes !
370 is an exceptional result
make SURE you but AGBS first on your CAF form if thats your preference.
well done :D
mummmy

Post by mummmy »

Does any one know how many candidates have taken exam for AGSB?
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

JSN wrote:relax , go buy the uniform and work out the bus routes !
370 is an exceptional result
make SURE you but AGBS first on your CAF form if thats your preference.
well done :D
Thanks JSN
mummmy wrote:Does any one know how many candidates have taken exam for AGSB?

Well the lady in admission said it is just over 1000 boys last year...not so sure this year.
firswood67

Post by firswood67 »

Hi Oshosh .... We are in exactly the same position as you. We live right at the other end of Trafford and DS managed 370+ too. We have put AGSB first with Sale second and then Stretford. Hope it goes well.
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

Oshosh do not be put off by the lady in admissions, rank the schools as per your preference as it is a blind preference if you are not successful on the first choice automatically Sale you second choice would be considered, Your DS has worked hard to pass these exams and deserves to be considered for a place. If I'm right I think you get seven choices on the CAF form so there is nothing to stop you from ranking these schools, last year for our son we only had 3 choices (we come from Cheshire east) and he passed 4 GS so we were so torn to discard one from our form .I felt incredibly guilty as my DS had worked hard to prepare, sit and pass these exams. So do make use of the choices given in the form and rank the schools as per your choice than advice given by others. You don't know what the cut off for out of catchment is going to be this year. Even the admissions lady can't fore tell that one! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now