Travel to Nonsuch

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mummyjee

Travel to Nonsuch

Post by mummyjee »

Was wondering if Cheam the closest station to Nonsuch?

and is the walk from Cheam station to Nonsuch school quite safe and how long a walk?

and i've seen a bus drive through the front drive of the school...which number bus is it?

thank you
2outof3

Re: Travel to Nonsuch

Post by 2outof3 »

Hi mummyjee,

Yes Cheam Station is the closest to Nonsuch and it's only a 10 minute walk. It's very safe, lots of shops and other pedestrians and safe crossing to the school (and the odd coffee shop which the girls make use of too :D). From that direction, the girls all use the entrance in Nonsuch Park, but it's very busy in the morning and not a safety problem at all.

I'm not aware of a bus that drives into the school. The 470 goes past the front gate and there used to be the 808 which was the dedicated Nonsuch bus from Stoneleigh, but that was cancelled 2 or 3 years ago now.

Do you want to say roughly where your DD would be travelling from? Obviously getting the bus would be cheaper but the train avoids the traffic that can build up around Cheam.
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

2outof3 wrote:Hi mummyjee,

Yes Cheam Station is the closest to Nonsuch and it's only a 10 minute walk. It's very safe, lots of shops and other pedestrians and safe crossing to the school (and the odd coffee shop which the girls make use of too :D). From that direction, the girls all use the entrance in Nonsuch Park, but it's very busy in the morning and not a safety problem at all.

I'm not aware of a bus that drives into the school. The 470 goes past the front gate and there used to be the 808 which was the dedicated Nonsuch bus from Stoneleigh, but that was cancelled 2 or 3 years ago now.

Do you want to say roughly where your DD would be travelling from? Obviously getting the bus would be cheaper but the train avoids the traffic that can build up around Cheam.

thank you 2outof3

we are near Balham
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Oh definitely a train from Balham - that's a nice easy journey on one train and then just the short walk at the end :D
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

:D
modernista

Post by modernista »

Just to warn you, if your DD does after school clubs rhen it can get very dark in winter if she has no friend to walk with. Ask her to come via the Broadway (many girls walk to bus stop) and then go to station.
mummyjee

Post by mummyjee »

thanks modernista, i have thought about how dark it gets in the winter and tbh i will probably be doing the school run for first /first few terms, where ever dd goes!! but really hope she finds a travel buddy soon!

im now wondering, when parents pick up and drop off kids in a car, are they allowed to drive into the school drive, toward the david lloyds?

where do most mums and dads pick up and drop off?
modernista

Post by modernista »

We live walking distance but I believe most drive into the Nonsuch park parking which is before the main entrance shared by David LLoyd. Some use DL parking if they are members. The traffic in Cheam is a nightmare esp in the first few weeks so do trial it before.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

mummyjee wrote:thanks modernista, i have thought about how dark it gets in the winter and tbh i will probably be doing the school run for first /first few terms, where ever dd goes!! but really hope she finds a travel buddy soon!

im now wondering, when parents pick up and drop off kids in a car, are they allowed to drive into the school drive, toward the david lloyds?

where do most mums and dads pick up and drop off?
Driving from Balham to Cheam would not be that nice. Too many bottlenecks along the route. Train would be much more easy and stress free.
modernista

Post by modernista »

You should try both, my preference would always be to take the train but only if you do so yourself you will be convinced. There are lots of girls walking to and from the station at school times so very safe even when its dark. Its only when she has after school clubs that parents tend to pick up from school so she might not have someone to walk to the train with.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now