Practice for Independent schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TSmum

Practice for Independent schools

Post by TSmum »

Can anyone please suggest practice material for English, Maths and VR for independent schools. I have heard there are a few tricky questions and also the level of test is much higher than the grammar schools.

Many thanks
Yamin151

Re: Practice for Independent schools

Post by Yamin151 »

TSmum wrote:Can anyone please suggest practice material for English, Maths and VR for independent schools. I have heard there are a few tricky questions and also the level of test is much higher than the grammar schools.

Many thanks
I think you have been misled there. Indies are businesses like any other and if they set the achievement required to gain entry higher than grammar schools, which cream off the top performing children anyway, then they may find themselves a bit short of customers! I believe the exams are no harder than the grammar ones, which after all, as I say, piu out those most likely to get good academic results. Some would argue they are easier, but I don't know about that.
As for materials, I'm sure the eleven plus books would be just as useful for the ce.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

I think it really depends on the schools you are applying for, some are every bit as academic as grammars, and not everyone applying to independents ever sits a grammar entrance exam, but that's a whole different argument!

If you post in the independent section of the forum giving details of the schools you are interested in, you should get some help. Many independents publish past papers on the website, and some do seem to be harder than others (in London schools like highgate, CLSB, the North London Consortium and Haberdashers, all publish past papers for English and maths). Papers for reasoning tests aren't generally published but I guess standard gla tests will do here.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Mods, this post needs to be in the Indy schools sector because it is not really about just Maths. Which schools are you applying for? In North London the state exams are harder than the Indy's. DG
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Done! now moved to indie section. Which schools are you considering TS mum?
That might help others to advise you correctly
yoyo
mod
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now