MY SON FAILED

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kellie

MY SON FAILED

Post by kellie »

I'm now at my wits end as to what to do (a little late, i know). Has he totally blown it for getting in for September, but has anyone been able to get there kids in the following year, do they do 12+ exams and entry - or is it a case of a once only chance.

Would he beable to resit the 11+ now - or is that a no no? The school has numerous private schools in the are, and i've since been told they all practice for the TWO years prior to the test. We did no practice as was the recommendation by the school. I feel with a week of coaching he'd pass - which makes a farce of the exam, but i'm desperate.

I am a single mum with two boys and i really feel i've let them down because i have been working far too much the past year (through necessity), my child is heartbroken and it's tearing me apart with guilt.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Kellie

Just seen your post in the Kent section too. Where are you from?

I totally sympathise and would direct you to the Appeals Section, where if you re post , you may receive some advice....

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35

Patricia
Appeal Mum

Post by Appeal Mum »

Hi Kellie,

I'm so sorry to hear your news.. I know at the minute you probably cannot think of anything else, but when you have time and feel up to it check out the appeals thread.
There are a lot of people here who can offer practical advice and give you some support.

Thinking of you..

AM.

PS Please register then you can take full advantage of what this website has to offer..

Post by Guest »

You have not let your son down at all. I feel most strongly that parents let their children down more by buying their way to a Grammar School School. Children who need two years of Prep should not be in a Grammar School. Many are sad and struggle with the pressure once they get there. However I know a few children who have had prep and failed to get in also.

My kid passed the 11plus with a very high score, one of the best in the County(with no prep and only a handful of practice papers) and chose to go to a non selective school, he is so happy and doing very well.

I would take a look at some of the other schools around you, mine chose his school only because her liked the teachers better.

You have not let him down at all. I admire you for not coaching him to death as some parents do and making his life a misery. he will get over this and so will you.
Confused!

Post by Confused! »

Aww Kellie I am so sorry that the results were not as you had hoped. :(
Please don't blame yourself.
I am sure there will be some advice on the Appeals section that should help.
Are you able to find out his mark, then you will know if he was borderline or not?
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Hugs xx
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hello Kellie,

So sorry to hear of your disappointment.

Are you in Lincolnshire? It is, indeed, impossible to re-take the exams for year 7 entry. The only way to gain a place if you have not reached the qualifying standard is through the appeal process. The likelihood of success at appeal varies considerably between different schools and will depend on the scores, mitigating circumstances and the strength of the evidence of academic ability from the primary school.

It is possible to try for entry into year 8 or subsequent years and different schools have different testing procedures for this. However, if the school is already full it may be difficult to get a place.

Do you have good alternative schools and have you thought through your options?

If you can give a bit more detail about where you are and what the circumstances are (you can register and pm me if you do not wish to do this on open forum) it may be possible to give you more specific information.

Post by Guest »

Dear Kellie, Assuming you are in Lincs just be glad that we have so many really good school heres. My eldest daughter goes to one of the good comprehensive schools we have and got 8As and 2Bs at GCSE (and she was away from school for much of year 11 due to spinal surgery) and her brother in yr 10 at a Grammar school is feeling the pressure!

If you look at the performance of the secondary schools in Lincs the top comps are snapping at the heels of the Grammars and are often (IMO) nicer schools. And if your son concentrates he can transfer for the 6th form (it will not be long!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now