Increase in Class Numbers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Elbart

Increase in Class Numbers

Post by Elbart »

So we have a supposed increase in class numbers for three of the schools so far - CHB, CHG, KEHG....until it's confirmed there's no use building up your hopes just yet. If it does happen then I presume that there would be a two or three point drop in QS, but not an 8 to 10 points drop. Of course this will impact BV and SCGS too by a one or two points drop also. Patience is a virtue.

Elbart
Hopefuldad7

Re: Increase in Class Numbers

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

Elbart wrote:So we have a supposed increase in class numbers for three of the schools so far - CHB, CHG, KEHG....until it's confirmed there's no use building up your hopes just yet. If it does happen then I presume that there would be a two or three point drop in QS, but not an 8 to 10 points drop. Of course this will impact BV and SCGS too by a one or two points drop also. Patience is a virtue.

Elbart
There is to be an increase of 135 extra year 7 children at 5 grammar schools. See below for the official information from the Foundation Office:

http://www.schoolsofkingedwardvi.co.uk/ ... r-schools/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Governors Increase Admissions to Grammar Schools

The Published Admission Numbers for the five grammar schools are to be increased in September 2014:
Aston will increase to 120
Camp Hill Boys will increase to 120
Five Ways School will increase to 180
Camp Hill Girls will increase to 150
Handsworth will increase to 160

The impact of this on the cut off scores is very difficult to assess because there are other factors which affect the cut off scores e.g. how many children apply and the score those children achieve in the test.

In recent years cut off scores have increased but the effect of admitting additional pupils in 2014 may result in a slightly lower cut off score to achieve entry.

Cut off scores for previous years have been published in letters to all candidates for September 2014 entry and are set out below:

BOYS 2012 2013
King Edward VI Aston School 216 220
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Boys 234 240

GIRLS 2012 2013
King Edward VI Camp Hill School for Girls 225 229
King Edward VI Handsworth School 215 216

MIXED 2012 2013
Five Ways School 225 227
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

.....135 extra places, wow, that's just like a new grammar school intake for 2014 - it's going to be interesting ahead.
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Yes children doing this exam are fortunate that they are the first year of extra places. It will help with the rise in births and increased demand as time goes on. I am surprised the schools have the extra space but of course they must have worked everything out. Hopefully this will help everyone to come also :D .
MSD

Post by MSD »

Damn! Couldn't they come up with this brilliant idea last year :)
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

....lol MSD.

Yes, Moseleymum, great news for this year's exam entrants. Like you say, bodes well for the future.
um

Post by um »

Does anyone have info from Sutton Coldfield Girls and Bishop Vesey?

I'm wondering if they will increase their intake too.
Hopefuldad7

Post by Hopefuldad7 »

um wrote:Does anyone have info from Sutton Coldfield Girls and Bishop Vesey?

I would like to know this too. Sutton is our 2nd choice and it will make a difference if the intake increased..
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

Elbart wrote:....lol MSD.

Yes, Moseleymum, great news for this year's exam entrants. Like you say, bodes well for the future.

Thinking from a selfish point of view of course :wink: Of my children, the one most likely to need all the help they can get is yet to sit the 11+.....
Cookiemonster

Post by Cookiemonster »

Hopefuldad7 wrote:
um wrote:Does anyone have info from Sutton Coldfield Girls and Bishop Vesey?

I would like to know this too. Sutton is our 2nd choice and it will make a difference if the intake increased..

Rang Sutton they are not aware of an increase in intake. They already have 150 in each year group so unlikely to increase from this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now