RGS Boarding

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

phillipthomas10

RGS Boarding

Post by phillipthomas10 »

Looks like there are only 10 day boarding places-Do they normally get over subscribed?Whats the criteria if they get over subscribed?

Thx a ton
Audreylawyer

Re: RGS Boarding

Post by Audreylawyer »

There are only 10 places. As far as I understand they are not usually over subscribed and have in fact been under subscribed for the past few years.

I spoke to the admissions tutor last week, and she provided me with the boarding over subscription criteria.

There were a number of criteria, but the only ones applicable for this year Re the sibling rule, and thereafter it will be by score.

I understand that there is at least 1 sibling, so that leaves 9 places available. I do not know how many boys applied for boarding, or indeed, how many of those achieved the qualifying score. I do know that there were more than 10 boarding applications, but that is usually the case.

I believe that they will be writing to boRding applicants this week, but do not know what the content of that letter will be. I am hoping that we will receive some indication of the likelihood of obtaining a boarding place, but doubt that we will get a ranking.

Hope this helps :D
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

phillipthomas10 wrote:Whats the criteria if they get over subscribed?
The Admissions and Over-Subscription criteria are available to view here: http://www.rgshw.com/userfiles/rgshw/do ... cy2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schools are obliged to publish their Admissions Policy on their website (if they have a website), and you will find the Policies to be a very useful tool.

Even on this website, myths and legends abound, and it is always worth a look at the horse's mouth.
phillipthomas10

Audreylawyer wrote:There are only 10 places. As far as I understand they are not usually over subscribed and have in fact been under subscribed for the past few years.

I spoke to the admissions tutor last week, and she provided me with the boarding over subscription criteria.

There were a number of criteria, but the only ones applicable for this year Re the sibling rule, and thereafter it will be by score.

I understand that there is at least 1 sibling, so that leaves 9 places available. I do not know how many boys applied for boarding, or indeed, how many of those achieved the qualifying score. I do know that there were more than 10 boarding applications, but that is usually the case.

I believe that they will be writing to boRding applicants this week, but do not know what the content of that letter will be. I am hoping that we will receive some indication of the likelihood of obtaining a boarding place, but doubt that we will get a ranking.

Hope this helps :D

Thx a lot-My som passed the transfer test and was hoping to apply for a boarding place but you said looks like already kids have applied for a boarding place.So wont they make a decision after they receieve all boarding applications

Thx dear
phillipthomas10

Sally-Anne wrote:
phillipthomas10 wrote:Whats the criteria if they get over subscribed?
The Admissions and Over-Subscription criteria are available to view here: http://www.rgshw.com/userfiles/rgshw/do ... cy2014.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Schools are obliged to publish their Admissions Policy on their website (if they have a website), and you will find the Policies to be a very useful tool.

Even on this website, myths and legends abound, and it is always worth a look at the horse's mouth.
thanks
Audreylawyer

Post by Audreylawyer »

Just received an email from admissions. It states:-

"If you still wish to be considered for a boarding place in Year 7 please ensure that you make Royal Grammar School Boarding your first preference on your common application form.

We will be in a position to make decisions regarding offers after 31st October when all preferences for school places have been received. We hope to be in a position to write to you again in November."

So nothing further than a confirmation of the written application and a passing score :roll:
kvs

Post by kvs »

I received this email too..

We were planning to make RGS boarding as our 2nd or 3rd preference but after reading this mail we are little confused.
Are there different procedures and timings for boarding allocation.? What will happen if we make RGS boarding as our 2nd choice.?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Audreylawyer wrote:Just received an email from admissions. It states:-

"If you still wish to be considered for a boarding place in Year 7 please ensure that you make Royal Grammar School Boarding your first preference on your common application form.
They are saying, in "Admissions speak", that you must put your first preference first. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kvs

Post by kvs »

Thanks Sally-Anne! that makes sense..
kvs

Post by kvs »

I read this boarding admission policy only today http://www.rgshw.com/userfiles/rgshw/do ... y_2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Once the result of testing is known, the Royal Grammar School will write offering places to eligible applicants.
To secure the place: Parents will be asked to send written confirmation of their acceptance of the offer and a non-refundable deposit (offset against the first term’s fees) to the RGS. Parents must withdraw their son from their other school choices as listed on the Local Authority CAF. Evidence of this withdrawal is required by RGS and should be sent with the acceptance of the boarding offer.
Where these requirements are not met by the given date, the offer will be withdrawn and the place offered to another eligible applicant.
"

Does anyone know what this means exactly?
"by the given date" - does this mean before March 2014, the actual first round allocation date.?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now