Appealing Kent 11+ 371 Overall 131, 124, 116 individual

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
redordead

Appealing Kent 11+ 371 Overall 131, 124, 116 individual

Post by redordead »

Hello,

New to the board and only found you when we got the dreaded text saying son had failed to secure grammar, now we have the results, his strongest subject and the one we didn't practice was maths and this is the one he got 116, the head teacher has stated that he needed 119? I have seen on here that it is 118 but not sure so any advice on that would be gratefully received.

his verbal reasoning was 131 and none verbal reasoning was 124, his head teacher already tried to appeal but failed due to his year 5 work. This was a very bad year for us due to my health and a lot of stress from work causing the entire family to suffer which has now been sorted out and his work is now improving so his head teacher has recommended that we appeal and the school will full support us in that. They also recommended that my son work very hard for the next six months so that we can show a substantial improvement in his maths and all other subjects as well to show that year five was just a blip rather than the norm.

Any advice would be appreciated, I have visited the appeals page and have printed that off ready but I am guessing I cannot appeal till March?

I don't really understand why it has to be 119 in each either so any views on this, have people won appeals in Kent with these kind of scores, do we have a chance?

Also it would be Harvey Grammar and Dover Boys we will be appealing - can you appeal two school places?

Thank you in advance for assistance

Red
twinkles

Re: Appealing Kent 11+ 371 Overall 131, 124, 116 individual

Post by twinkles »

You needed to get a minimum of 118 in all papers this year. It was 119 last year, I believe.

I think an appeal is definitely worth it with those scores.

You can't appeal till March once allocations have been made. So plenty of time to get lots of evidence of high ability and as your HT has advised if your son works hard and you can show improvement this year then that's all good too.

There is a lady on the forum called T12ACY who appealed to The Harvey 4 years ago and was successful with similar scores to yours. I don't know anything about Dover, I'm afraid. I am in touch with her so will ask her to contact you.

You can appeal to more than one school, yes. Put the grammars on your CAF form in preference and then other schools so that when allocations are made you obviously won't get the grammars as your son didn't pass, but you will then be given one of the other schools.

I will PM (private message) you also - so look out for it in your inbox!!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Hi, definitely appeal! Have you looked at the 'feedback from areas' sticky in the appeal section? My appeal post (page 12) might be helpful. I had a similar situation to you.

The best advice I can give is to work out on what grounds you want to appeal between now and March, and start gathering evidence or doing work to support those reasons.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Red, I have PM'd you.
Cazzy

Post by Cazzy »

Have found myself in similar situation. Confused over what the maths score needed to be. She got 117 Maths / 136 Verbal / 124 Non Verbal - overall 377. What was the maths 118 or 119. We are going to appeal, but hoping we're appealing over just 1 point.
twinkles

Post by twinkles »

Cazzy, scores were a minimum of 118 in each paper with an overall score of 360.

So yes, you would be appealing over just 1 mark. Seems to be quite a few of them this year!
redordead

Post by redordead »

Thanks Twinkles

Very helpful and the PM too. We will start to gather evidence ready, I just cant believe his Maths which is his best subject was the one he lost points on. Although it was also the one we did not do mock exams in because he was getting 95% to 100% in exams and stuff.

Lesson learnt - will be doing all three types for the other two when its their turns :)

He now spends time on Mathletics and other such places so we can show an improvement in his maths and all the other subjects and also we are dealing with his behavior which is greatly improved without the stress of me being unwell but still has a little bit to go.

Nice to know it is only two marks so basically one question.

We have also asked several times for the school to test him for dyslexia, runs in both my maternal and paternal family and I have it pretty bad as well, yet the school hasn't bothered on the grounds that most kids would come back dyslexic as the bar is very low? Not too sure if we should continue with that avenue as well mainly because it may assist with secondary rather than the appeal or would it make a difference to the appeal as well if they tested him and he was?

Thanks for all your help :D

Red
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Hi Red,

I have a DS at Harvey currently having had to appeal with 2 failed papers, much lower scores than your DS has achieved. Feel free to PM me if you want any specific details. My question to you is did your DS sit the Dover test, and I know the Harvey are doing there own entrance papers but think that's not until next year?

Lots of time to collate relevant evidence but I'd agree if DS can work super hard to show marked improvement that would be very useful in appeal.

T x
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.
redordead

Post by redordead »

Hi T12acy

My son didn't sit the grammar test, we sent in the extra form when we realised we had to, but it was apparently out of time. Not that we were told I found that out when I rang the school asking where the letter was telling us the time ect. They refused to let us have a different date and also woe couldn't be put into the test date arranged.

Harvey decided this year to run a test themselves - we didn't know until the day before, it is the first year they have done it.

So I don't have a back up although I have learnt a lot from this. I am wondering whether or not to contact the Harvey and go and have a chat with them see what they say and see if there is any way for him to sit the exam for their school to see if he scores high enough or they would be happy taking him etc. I am guessing it can't hurt to try.

I will PM you tomorrow if that is ok its been a very busy day - family death.

Red
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh now I am confused. If your son did not sit the kent test I wonder if it is worth applying and appealing for anything other than the Harvey.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now