Philip Morant

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Saffery13

Philip Morant

Post by Saffery13 »

Hello I was just wondering if anyone on the forum had done the Philip Morant test this year?

The results were given as a standardised score and I wondered if anyone knew what the highest possible score was?

The letter said last year the first place went to a score of 124 so I guess there may have been higher scores who took CRGS places.
Skiptolou

Re: Philip Morant

Post by Skiptolou »

My DS took the Philip Morant test and scored 141.

He will apply for CRGS (1st choice) with a CSSE score of 343.418.
Philip Morant 2nd choice.
Saffery13

Post by Saffery13 »

Wow brilliant score. Well done to your DS.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Hi - DS1 has scored 370.855 and is off to CRGS in Sept. DS2 will stay at his current school - we are in the process of moving and I will just drive DS2 or he can go on a bus. DS2 will sit CSSE but I didn't realise there was a Philip Morant test. Can you explain to me what it is and what year? I presumed you just got a place in catchment and that was that. Sorry if I am being dim.. just back from a very soggy wet Legoland.
Skiptolou

Post by Skiptolou »

As a technology college, Philip Morant allocates up to 28 places on the basis of an aptitude test for technology. The test is sat around the same time as the CSSE exam, this year it was the Saturday after. My DS took both tests and thought the Philip Morant test was very easy compared to the 11+ exam! We did not prepare for the Philip Morant test, but it sounds like it was non-verbal reasoning.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Skiptolou - thats good to know, many thanks for replying.
hongkong

Post by hongkong »

hi

If you are in catchment you will get a place. Those 28 places are for out of catchment children. If your child is at an in catchment primary school they will sit a CATS test in school. I think many have just sat them. You can ask the primary school, and ask for the score.

If you are not , but you live in catchment,your child will have to take the test at Philip Morant, you would need to contact them about times etc. For the in catchment children they use that score to band them. They appear to rely more on these scores than the SATS. I have had students with level 4s in SATs be allocated band 4 and 5 (5 being the lowest), whereas I would consider these average students and expect them to be in band 3. On asking the parents both did very poorly in the CATS test.

The CATS test is mainly verbal and non verbal reasoning, so really is an IQ test. Children who have studied for the 11 plus will find it easy, and in my opinion do not need to prepare for it in any way.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

I have just found a proposed change to the admission policy for September 16. They seem to be planning to drop the 10% of places reserved for the technology apptitude paper. It is out for consultation until 11th February.
My school options for DS2 keep disappearing. :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now