Other options

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sleeplessinhalstead

Other options

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

I am looking for other options (apart from local school) for my DD after an upset in the CSSE exam, does any one have any experience of the following schools:

1. St. Mary's Colchester
2. Colchester High
3. Anglo European School Ingatestone

second Q!

If you have experience of 1 or 2 above, how do you rate the "academic stretch" for more able children?

Thank you

feel free to pm me if you prefer.
hongkong

Re: Other options

Post by hongkong »

I have 2 friends who have daughters in Colchester High. One has just started in year 7 and the other in year 10. They are both very happy. The one in year 10 went to primary school there, and then swapped to St Mary's. She wasn't very happy there, so swapped back again.

I think the main problem was low level bullying, her mum felt it wasn't taken seriously. I don't know if this is a one off case. Hopefully you will get more feed back from others.

I have heard that all the children thrive at Colchester High, and they are taught to be very confident. Neither of the girls are high achievers , so I cant answer that aspect. I do know there are not many girls in each year, but I cant really see that as a problem.

My really good friend sends her children to the Ipswich school, and she has been really impressed. She says her daughter has been there 2 years and is excelling in her studies and sport. Her children had preciously been in St Benedict's which she felt hadn't stretched them at all.
KB

Post by KB »

Can highly recommend The Ipswich School and there will be a number of high achievers each year.

My experience of the private schools in Colchester is that they do not really push academically but I guess that is partly because the brightest children tend to go to the GS (except those who have a blip on the test day).

Having said that I do know of some children who moved from one of the GS to Colchester High School and did very well but they were highly motivated themselves.

Have you looked at Felsted? They may have scholarships/bursaries - as may Ipswich.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hi Sleeplessinhalstead,

Have sent you a PM.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now