BANCROFTS/FOREST- info needed!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Alina

BANCROFTS/FOREST- info needed!

Post by Alina »

Hey all,

I have looked around for a while in this fourm and can't seem to find any details or any info of anyone's child applying to Bancroft's/Forest School in London. If there is please do let me know..or know of any experience from these schools for their 11+ exams.

In addition, when applying for scholarships or help for fees, do these independent schools consider other dependent siblings?

Thank you,
Alina

Post by Guest »

PS. Also, do u think it is essential/necessary that a child should get 11+ tution or can my child be taught by myself?

Post by Guest »

I don't know anything about Bancroft's, but am applying for my child to attend Forest in September 2008. Forest set their own exams, (as Im' sure Bancrofts also do), which are different from the 11+. Instead of the 11+ verbal and non-verbal reasoning, there's a more traditional maths paper and English paper. Both are on the same day, which is Saturday 26th January. You will get one sample paper from the school in their admissions pack. I think that scholarships are awarded purely on on academic merit (based on your child's exam results), but they do have some bursaries where family income is under a certain amount (I think £37k), and I don't know how they assess these. You can find out more on their website, www.forest.org.uk.

As for tutoring, everyone has their own opinion. I've had my child tutored for the 11+ since last January and I think that at least a couple of months would be needed to familiarise the child with the papers. At 10, they have no experience of sitting formal exams. However, if you have the time (and energy!) and the right kind of relationship with your child, you could certainly do the coaching yourself. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

both my children have been at Forset since 7 and they did give a slightly greater weighting to siblings.

The exam is traditional and from memory the scholarship was based on not only the exam but a panel interview that I needed to prepare my daughter for.
Alina

Post by Alina »

Thank you so much, that has helped quite a bit :)
loredana

Re: BANCROFTS/FOREST- info needed!

Post by loredana »

Hi Alina,

Bancrofts School in particular offers a £2000 deduction from earnings for every other dependent child apart of the applicant.
I know is late but I hope it helps.

Loredana
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now