Bucks review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

GoalieMum

Bucks review

Post by GoalieMum »

My son scored 110 in the Bucks test, a complete shock to us and his teachers.

He has the full backing of the school in the review.

End of year five levels
Reading 5C
Writing 4A
Maths 5A

Current levels
Reading 5B
Writing 5C
Maths 5A

Predicted end of year six levels
Reading 5A
Writing 5B
Maths 6C

The head teacher has in her additional information worded it as " I exceptionally, highly recommend....". He was ranked as a 1:1, I have since found out that six children were ranked as this and four of them qualified.

I am including his reports, he has always been exceptional in Maths and was put up a year last year to study with the then year six.We have a few reasons for him not getting the result which I have include in my report.

Anything else I could include? Any advice appreciated.
Etienne

Re: Bucks review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

I know I've already referred you over in Bucks to the list of academic evidence
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and I can't be sure whether your circumstances would be exceptional enough for a review

The most obvious omission is that it looks as if your school doesn't do CATs or other similar tests.
It would have strengthened the case to have had evidence of higher scores in alternative reasoning tests.
Etienne
GoalieMum

Post by GoalieMum »

Thanks for the welcome!

Unfortunately the school does not do any other forms of tests. What do you think of his SATS levels?

And is the fact that four out of six ranked as 1:1 got through good?

He is on the gifted and talented register for maths, and was the only child out of year five to be put up to year six last year.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

And is the fact that four out of six ranked as 1:1 got through good?
67% is lower than we suggest (80%), but percentages may not help with low numbers. In the Q&As we go on to say "(v) Percentages can be a bit misleading when the number involved is very small. For example, if a headteacher recommends just three pupils, the only possible success rates are 0%, 33.3%, 66.6% and 100% – nothing in between! In reality the difference between one child qualifying (a 33.3% success rate) and two (a 66.6% success rate) is slight. The important thing is that ideally there should be no huge number of unsuccessful recommendations (especially ‘1s’)."
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think a panel would need to see all the school's recommendations (which they will) to form a judgement.
He is on the gifted and talented register for maths, and was the only child out of year five to be put up to year six last year.
See Note 2:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you think of his SATS levels?
They're fine.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now