Exam timed incorrectly

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Frustratedoftrafford

Exam timed incorrectly

Post by Frustratedoftrafford »

Would love some feedback ,
My daughter recently sat our local grammar school exam (approx 400 metres away ) . The NVR are the first two papers, being two tests of 10 minutes, 20 questions each. She completed all 20 of the first paper, during the second paper they were told their time was up and papers were collected in after only 5 minutes . Apparently the incorrect timing was pointed out by one of the entrants and after checking this was correct, the the papers were handed back out and they were given the remaining 5 minutes . My daughter told us that at the point time was being called she guessed as many as she could ( don't leave empty boxes if you can help it!! ) when the papers were redistributed she had no idea where she had guessed from and spent the whole time trying to rubbing out, unfortunately having no time to do any further questions . she says she was very aware that if they were not rubbed out completely it might cause a problem when electronically marked . She completed 8 out of the 20 .
We now have her results and she missed the qualifying score by 6 marks ( 2 extra correct questions??? ) her NVR being much lower than maths and verbal.
We have just received her results for our second choice local grammar
She passed this comfortably , interestingly the NVR being her highest score in this paper.
Any thoughts welcome?
Etienne

Re: Exam timed incorrectly

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!

Have you seen the Q&As?
For example:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a36" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Academic evidence is what really matters:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting point about NVR, but caution is often needed with other 11+ tests:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The more evidence of NVR the better - for example, a high score in a CAT test.
Etienne
Frustratedoftrafford

Post by Frustratedoftrafford »

Thank you for your quick reply Etienne,

I have studied the Q and A's section over the last few days. Fantastic information - but so much! No particular mention on incorrect timing of exam as far as I can see?

Have spoken to the head of primary who will support us fully in giving evidence of her strong academic ability
All level 5 sat result at end of year 5
When tested at school earlier this year her VR and NVR both scores were both within top 16 percentile
She is in top sets for literacy and maths at a high achieving primary school ( this school does not prep children for grammar school entrance exams )
Has been involved in gifted and talented sessions for art ( does this count I wonder? )

We live in an area that has a grammar school system therefore most children sit multiple entrance exams, this is not unusual and probably expected

Is this enough?

What about the extenuating circumstances? We are now fairly convinced she would have received the pass mark if it had not been for the timing error.
How aware I am that it is not up to us to make this judgement ..............
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Frustratedoftrafford wrote:I have studied the Q and A's section over the last few days. Fantastic information - but so much! No particular mention on incorrect timing of exam as far as I can see?
If we listed every possible extenuating circumstance it would be infinitely longer! :lol:

The point we really want to get across is that you might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances - you cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

As a secondary issue, though, if the score is a long way short of what was required, it does beg the question 'If the child is said to be so bright, why the underperformance? Were there any extenuating circumstances?'
Have spoken to the head of primary who will support us fully in giving evidence of her strong academic ability
Good.
All level 5 sat result at end of year 5
5b or higher?
When tested at school earlier this year her VR and NVR both scores were both within top 16 percentile
We would normally suggest the 90th percentile and above (preferably the 95th+ to be on the safe side) - but it depends on local circumstances (how competitive GS entry is, and what a local appeal panel would expect.)
We live in an area that has a grammar school system therefore most children sit multiple entrance exams, this is not unusual and probably expected
My point (in your particular case) had more to do with the correlation between different 11+ tests.
She is in top sets for literacy and maths at a high achieving primary school
Good.
Has been involved in gifted and talented sessions for art ( does this count I wonder? )
No.
Is this enough?
Only your particular appeal panel can answer that! :)
What about the extenuating circumstances? We are now fairly convinced she would have received the pass mark if it had not been for the timing error.
I assume there's no argument about the incorrect timing. Do we know for certain it was recorded in the invigilator's log?

The more difficult bit to assess is the effect on your daughter. Did you report this at the time? (It's always a good idea to do this to get it 'on the record'.)
Etienne
wanderinglight

Post by wanderinglight »

Hi, I just wanted to say I know how you feel, our daughters VR exam was timed strangely. The guy doing the exams failed to tell them how long they had left and just said times up, my daughter failed because the class were not told, or rather the head teacher said its likely that she failed because of this factor taking into account her score. When I queried it with the HT before the NVR he checked with the other children and they all said the same.The NVR they were given increment countdowns to the end, oh and everyone finished it.
Judging by HTs reaction to the 11+ this year, it appears it was managed differently because certain things that were expected to happen, didnt. You are not alone in your confusion over this, I am starting to wish we had said no to letting daughter do the exam. I wish you luck if you decide to appeal because as yet we have not made a decision.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now