Sutton Girls - is 207 enough???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dad_123

Sutton Girls - is 207 enough???

Post by Dad_123 »

Hi

I'm new to this forum, my DD obtained a score of 207, she really has her heart set on Sutton Girls and had some tears the last few days. I know last year the cut off point was 215, however I would like to find out with extra places would this drop to about 207.

Also, I have another daughter that is already at Sutton Girls and I only live a few minutes from the school, would the LEA/Grammar schools consider siblings and distance too?

I eager await any honest responses - :?
Okanagan

Re: Sutton Girls - is 207 enough???

Post by Okanagan »

I'd see the drop being 3 or 4 points for most of the schools. There will be a drop down effect from extra candidates getting in to the schools which need higher scores then making places available at the top end of the scores range, as well as the new places extending the bottom end in the other schools. However the lower down the scores range you go, the more people there are on each score (it's a bell curve so 200 will actually be the most common result, and the further you move away from that the less people will have each score). Hence the change in score required is actually likely to be fairly consistent as you move down the pyramid.
sasa

Re: Sutton Girls - is 207 enough???

Post by sasa »

The LEA states that there is no sibling priority, and distance is only considered when tied for last place in (when living close by is obviously in your favour).

However, even with the changes this year I am not sure that 207 will be enough for a place at Sutton Girls

I am sure your DD is upset particularly because she feels she'll miss on out being where her sister is. I think the second (or third) child in the family that goes through the 11+ process feels the stress more than the first one as they have something to 'live up to'.

In your position, I would still put Sutton Girls as my first choice (there's nothing to lose by doing that), and make sure the second choice is a school you have encouraged DD to feel happy with going to, and you are likely to get a place at.