Marling school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

lady

Marling school

Post by lady »

Hello everybody
Can u please tell me about Marling school standard . I am new to Gloucestershire area. My son is in twilight zone only for Marling. Is it worth moving for my son to Stroud. He got very impressed by their website showed that they made aircraft. :( . We don't know much about it. please post ur thoughts
Thanks
Amber

Re: Marling school

Post by Amber »

Welcome to the forum. :D I think we need a little more information to help you.

Where would you be moving from? What is your alternative school? I think it is very rarely worth moving house to be close to a particular school but this of course depends on your individual circumstances and what your alternatives are.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

My dd and dh loved Marling for the same reason - they are apparently doing rockets this year! Why not wait and see if he gets a place on March 1 before deciding whether to move, and s Amber says it depends on your alternative.

We moved last year after dd got a place at SHS on 1 March (managed it in just over 6 months) but that was because there was no viable alternative and the whole family has benefited from the move ...
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

What was your score for Marling if you don't mind me asking?
My ds has 222. We phoned the school and they said for the last 2 years they had accepted all the boys who had passed.
It isn't a guarantee but it does give you some idea of how likely it is that he will get a place.
A lot depends how far away you are and if travel is an option. You could always begin by traveling and then move.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

willow_catkin wrote:My dd and dh loved Marling for the same reason - they are apparently doing rockets this year! Why not wait and see if he gets a place on March 1 before deciding whether to move, and s Amber says it depends on your alternative.

We moved last year after dd got a place at SHS on 1 March (managed it in just over 6 months) but that was because there was no viable alternative and the whole family has benefited from the move ...
Off topic but is your DD in y7 or 8 now?
lady

Post by lady »

lady wrote:Hello everybody
Can u please tell me about Marling school standard . I am new to Gloucestershire area. My son is in twilight zone only for Marling. Is it worth moving for my son to Stroud. He got very impressed by their website showed that they made aircraft. :( . We don't know much about it. please post ur thoughts
Thanks
Thanks for all your reply
I am really pleased with ur answers. We live in Milton Keynes. I know its for away from Gloucester. We have only two choice either comprehensive school or Marling. So for me its really big think to decide. My ds scored 223 in Marling, 109 in crypt. so i am just thinking is it that much worth to move or put him in local school :( . But my ds really wants to go to Marling :shock: .
Thanks
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Can I suggest you visit the school before deciding....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

lady wrote:
Thanks
I am really pleased with ur answers. We live in Milton Keynes. I know its for away from Gloucester. We have only two choice either comprehensive school or Marling. So for me its really big think to decide. My ds scored 223 in Marling, 109 in crypt. so i am just thinking is it that much worth to move or put him in local school :( . But my ds really wants to go to Marling :shock: .
Thanks
I don't think 10 year olds are mature enough to make that decision. My DS wanted to go to a pareticular school because of the food they served in food tech on the open evening. You have the make the decision about what is right for your son and your family. Do you really want to uproot your whole family? What if he is unhappy there?
scary mum
lady

Post by lady »

scary mum wrote:
lady wrote:
Thanks
Thanks
I don't think 10 year olds are mature enough to make that decision. My DS wanted to go to a pareticular school because of the food they served in food tech on the open evening. You have the make the decision about what is right for your son and your family. Do you really want to uproot your whole family? What if he is unhappy there?

I fully understand that point.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

stroudydad wrote: Off topic but is your DD in y7 or 8 now?
She is Yr 8 now :)