ADVISE RE. RESITTING

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
angelina

ADVISE RE. RESITTING

Post by angelina »

My son broke his wrist on the Monday evening before the second test paper. He is now in plaster for what i've been told will be at least 4 weeks (its his right wrist, so cant hold a pencil, let alone write).

Do you think we should try and get a scribe for him and take the test asap or would it be better to wait, probably into mid November and take it when he is fully recovered. He's a May Birthday, so taking it later will I should think affect the age issue.

Not sure what todo for the best, so any opions would be very welcome.
Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think a scribe may slow him down too much - there is time to wait and be allocated a place at the same time as everyone else. What does school say? Make sure Admsiions are in the picture too -

I know its frustrating for him but if you go ahead with a scribe and just miss the 121 I think an appeal would NOT be very sympathetic.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Angelina

What a shame for you and your son. I do tend to agree with Guest55's advice here.

In the first instance I would email Admissions to explain the situation and ask someone to ring you to discuss the matter. I recommend that because it means that you have gone into print and it also circumvents the zombie-like switchboard system that operates at County Hall!

When you speak to them, ask for their advice and for confirmation of the timings that would result:
a) When he would take the test - say 4- 6 weeks from now at the earliest;
b) What would happen if he were unable to take the test until even later because the fracture hasn't healed;
c) How long it would then be until you received the results;
d) Whether that would still allow you time to appeal if required and still be allocated a place in the first round of allocations at the start of March.

Make careful notes of who you spoke to, the time/date and the answers you receive, and ask them to add your email and a note of the conversation to your son's file. Then confirm what they have told you back to them in writing by email, asking it also to be added to your son's file. Ask for them to confirm by reply that this has been done and once they reply, print everything for your records!

I only suggest all this rigmarole because, although I find Admissions very helpful in person, you can never rely on them 100%. Things can and do go wrong occasionally. If you have everything in print then an Appeal at any stage could be more successful if you have written proof of the advice you were given.

I hope things go well for your son

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Many thanks to you both for the advise, will get onto the admissions section tomorrow and take it from there.
Wish I'd found this site some months earlier, lots of great topic/advise.
Many thanks again. Will let you know how we get on.
Angelina
Hilda

Post by Hilda »

So sorry to hear your bad news. When you email county do check what date will be used for your child for standardisation. I always understood that the age taken was the age in years months and weeks on the day that the child sits the FIRST test, and that this " age" was used for the second test standardisation also. However that may just be hearsay. Maybe Patricia, Sally Anne or someone else will know.
Hilda
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No - its the date of EACH test - that's why the date of test is recorded.

Post by Guest »

Could I just add that whatever advice you get from Admissions you should get in WRITING - that was their own advice to me as answers and advice can vary according to who you ask.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now