Distance

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Natalie74

Distance

Post by Natalie74 »

Just wondered if you don't get your first choice and you put a different grammar school down for your 2nd choice, how far might your child have to travel?

BV is 50 mins on the train.
FW is 45 mins in the bus.

It's a long commute isn't it, especially in the winter. Just wondered if anyone else's child would be making a long distance journey too? And how far?
peter5

Re: Distance

Post by peter5 »

Our DC does over an hour in the mornings and about 1.5 hours in the evening .DC is loving it and enjoys the journey .Quite a few children in DC's class and year also does similar ,some further .They are getting older and more independent .
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

Natalie74 wrote:Just wondered if you don't get your first choice and you put a different grammar school down for your 2nd choice, how far might your child have to travel?

It's a long commute isn't it, especially in the winter. Just wondered if anyone else's child would be making a long distance journey too? And how far?
Quite a few kids on the Green Bus travel for over an hour. Some from Wolverhampton travel to KEFW and that is an hour plus. It is a long journey but with no free boys grammar school in Dudley, Wolverhampton or Sandwell, to go to a grammar journey time is one of the sacrifices.
goodmanj

Post by goodmanj »

In an ideal world, our first choice is just a short 20 minutes straight line route on the bus. 2nd choice 30 minutes& about an hour to the third via 2 trains and a walk. We are waiting for allocation day, but if ours is the third choice will do plenty of trial runs & look into all options. It is a terrifying thought, but our children are very resilient. I still worry just as much about my older dd getting a bus to college or her part time job!!! I guess as a parent the worry never goes, but we have to let them be independent.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

Natalie74 wrote:Just wondered if you don't get your first choice and you put a different grammar school down for your 2nd choice, how far might your child have to travel?

Hi Natalie74
DS wants to go to BV. He will take two trains:

Morning.
Train 1: 710 arrive Lichfield 7.35
Train 2: 750 arrive Sutton 8.10

Afternoon
Train leaves Sutton at 4.25 and will be home ca 6pm.

The alternative is the local comp :shock:
Natalie74

Post by Natalie74 »

Optimist, ahh I'm glad my DS won't be the only one commuting, that's if he gets in. Are you going to the open day tomorrow?