Missed By two Marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tyra

Missed By two Marks

Post by Tyra »

Can anybody tell me if they know or have been through appeal process? And what it was like!

DD has just missed out by two marks! We are wanting West Kirby Grammar! Older daughter in year 10! Will this go in her favour! She was expected by primary school to fly through! Head sent letter to IAB but still knocked back!!

Feeling very stressed :(
Ivana

Re: Missed By two Marks

Post by Ivana »

My friend's daughter got knocked back too and she missed by one point, is that because lots of children passed? If you look at the previous post over 800 children passed. And sorry to hear that.
wirralmum1

Post by wirralmum1 »

Hi

My son also missed by just a few marks, this does not reflect his ability so we are also considering appeal.
I do not think it is because a lot of people passed though. Although over 800 passed when you look at the intake on Wirral.gov.uk/admissions ( I only looked at boys), for all Wirral Grammar schools the intake is higher than the 408 boys that is reported from the Hotdesk! ( not including St Anslems intake either).
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Apparently it's the norm with the IAB! Think they try to put people off appealing! Our Headteacher had put in a strong recommendation followed up with good academic levels and still they said no! What is so frustrating is that it is a basic form with a small box for comments! How can they possibly make a fair and just decision on that!

And now we have to wait until March to appeal because of allocation day! When they will know in the next few weeks where everyone is going!! It is so frustrating they cannot seem to get this system right!! We should all know by end of term what is what and appeals then held in January! It's not complicated, I don't know why the feel they need to make it complicated : :?

Thankfully we have an excellent primary school who are backing us all the way as they where as shocked as we were! I thank god for that! :)
wirralmum1

Post by wirralmum1 »

I agree the system is so frustrating and not a true judge of a child's ability. Also very stressful having to wait until march , when as you say they will know in a matter of weeks !!
Wishing you all the best in your appeal x
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Good luck to you as well if you decide to appeal! I know it's so stressful and the thought of having to go through that awful process sends shivers down my spine but I think and you probably feel the same, if you don't do it then you will never know for sure! And we have to try everything for our DC! Do keep posting think it will be nice to have support of others going through process as well :)
Charlie100

Post by Charlie100 »

Hi
My son missed by 5 marks, went to IAB but didn't change result so am wondering whether it is worth appealing as he really wants to go to Calday and we really think he would thrive there. Year 5 optional Sats were level 5 for maths (expected 5a/6 year 6) and reading and 4a for writing. Wondering if 5 marks is a stretch too far for appeal since there aren't any strong extenuating circumstances?
The whole appeal process seems overwhelming!
Tyra

Post by Tyra »

Hi Charlie100

I think you have nothing to lose. Looks like your son has good SATs levels! Five is not that far off! We very lucky got a very good Headteacher and deputy who backing us all the way! She has only missed by two! According to our head the IAB tend to knock everything back because they don't want people appealing so when they see that they get knocked back once they don't try again!

It's a daunting prospect I know and we are dreading it! But we have to keep plugging for our DC and you might always think what if? If you don't! Good luck and keep posting think its good to share experiences and thoughts with others going through exactly the same! We have had an awful week, can't focus on anything else!! Wish I could rewind to Monday and a different email :(
Charlie100

Post by Charlie100 »

Hi Tyra
We are going to have a chat with our headteacher before we embark on the appeal process as we are still undecided as he passed St Anselms but we aren't catholic so bit concerned he may not get a place.
Two of my nieces successfully appealed and got places at West Kirby if that gives you hope? They are now in year 8.
wirralmum1

Post by wirralmum1 »

We are also going to book an appointment with the head teacher next week and take it from there ! It is likely we will appeal x