Sale Grammar Appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mmwgw

Sale Grammar Appeal

Post by mmwgw »

Hi there,

I am considering an appeal after falling just short and contacted the school to ask for some appeal stats for last year.

According to the school - last year 57 appeals 0 successful

i was a) surprised by the number of appeals and b) exceedingly surprised by the fact that none were successful.

Whilst i have no reason to doubt them i also can't believe that an independent appeals process gave that result?

Is this sort of success rate (or slightly higher!) the norm?
Dids

Re: Sale Grammar Appeal

Post by Dids »

I would like to know if sale marked any up following an internal review? That figure on appeals is not good.
mmwgw

Post by mmwgw »

I was fairly clear on my question to them....this is the stats for the independent appeal process after March / April allocation of schools NOT the 13 point margin appeal immediately after the exams.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

mmwgw wrote:I am considering an appeal after falling just short and contacted the school to ask for some appeal stats for last year.

According to the school - last year 57 appeals 0 successful

i was a) surprised by the number of appeals and b) exceedingly surprised by the fact that none were successful.

Whilst i have no reason to doubt them i also can't believe that an independent appeals process gave that result?

Is this sort of success rate (or slightly higher!) the norm?
Nationally around one-third of appeals (excluding infant class size appeals) are successful, but please note most of these would have been oversubscription appeals.

• Separate statistics for grammar schools are not collated.
• There are no separate statistics for where the main issue was non-qualification.
• Statistics for academies are not being collected.

Here's a very old newspaper article about the widely different success rates in different areas.
Although it’s out of date, and refers to all schools rather than just grammar schools, it gives an idea of the considerable variations that can occur.
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... s.schools1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm inclined to agree that 0 out of 57 sounds remarkably low!

See also:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I would ask them for a breakdown over previous 5 years so you can get a feel for your chances. I know that there were sucessful Sale non qual appeals in 2012 but that that year was an unusual one in Trafford as Urmston GS moved their exam to be the first one in Trafford and it had repurcussions accross all the boroughs GS for some reason. If you look in the Trafford forum around March 2012 you should find some useful threads.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

CarpeDiem wrote:I would ask them for a breakdown over previous 5 years so you can get a feel for your chances.
I agree - we would recommend at least 3-5 years:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
emsy

Post by emsy »

The appeal system for Sale changed between my two children (now years 9 and 11). When my older child sat the exam they ran non-qualification appeals in November and those that were successful were considered in with those who passed the exam in the initial allocation round in March. By the time my younger child sat the November appeals had been stopped and you could only appeal for non-qualification after March. If you look back at previous years, only ones under the new system will be relevant. I had a successful non-qualification appeal under the old system (which I preferred) but it was easier to succeed as there was no oversubscription issue.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now