Travelling times

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cetaylormade

Travelling times

Post by cetaylormade »

Hello

My dd is lucky enough to be able to consider both Chelmsford and Colchester but not sure which to put at the top. Although we are in catchment for Chelmsford, it would mean leaving the house at 7 and not returning until 5.30 (if she doesn't do any clubs) whereas Colchester she would leave at 7.45 and return at 4.30. Obviously Chelmsford is much longer out of the house but my dd is desperate to put that as her first choice. Has anyones else had their dc's have such long travel times and if so how have they found it or does anyone else plan on their children doing similar journey times?
dez

Re: Travelling times

Post by dez »

cetaylormade wrote:Hello

My dd is lucky enough to be able to consider both Chelmsford and Colchester but not sure which to put at the top. Although we are in catchment for Chelmsford, it would mean leaving the house at 7 and not returning until 5.30 (if she doesn't do any clubs) whereas Colchester she would leave at 7.45 and return at 4.30. Obviously Chelmsford is much longer out of the house but my dd is desperate to put that as her first choice. Has anyones else had their dc's have such long travel times and if so how have they found it or does anyone else plan on their children doing similar journey times?
For us we have choose the closest GS which is CCHS. There is not much of a different results wise between the two schools. Two hours extra per school day is a lot over a seven years period. If I am in your position I would choose Colchester! Good luck with your selection. :D
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

HI Dez - I'm inclined to agree with you - the trouble is my daughter has set her heart on Chelmsford :?

She cried and cried when I suggested putting Colchester first as since we started the whole process all she has wanted was Chelmsford - just hadn't realised there was no bus near us as presumed there would be considering we are in catchment :(
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe you should make her get up and ready to leave the house at 7am this week and see if that changes her mind?
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

KB wrote:Maybe you should make her get up and ready to leave the house at 7am this week and see if that changes her mind?
KB that is so funny because that sudden;ly dawned on me tonight so I told my dd just before she went to bed that I'd get her up early :) lets see how it goes although not sure I'm ready for earl mornings yet :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

surely as part of the deal she has to get herself up :D

because of course mine (who are significantly older!) all manage that :roll:
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Im not sure when applications close but could you try the journeys with her before you apply? I dont think at 10 they can appreciate the difficulty of a journey until they actually do it.
inaminute

Post by inaminute »

I am not sure how you manage to get to Colchester Girls High so much quicker than Chelmsford if you are in catchment for Chelmsford. It is a heck of a queue into Lexden off the A12 in the morning and possibly going to get worse with new traffic system in place. I would not rule out a DC's strong preference for a school too easily. There's no swapping once your child starts.
cetaylormade

Post by cetaylormade »

inaminute wrote:I am not sure how you manage to get to Colchester Girls High so much quicker than Chelmsford if you are in catchment for Chelmsford. It is a heck of a queue into Lexden off the A12 in the morning and possibly going to get worse with new traffic system in place. I would not rule out a DC's strong preference for a school too easily. There's no swapping once your child starts.
The school bus from Colchester leaves just outside our house at 8.00 and gets back at 4.30 but the nearest bus for Chelmsford is in Maldon which is a 15 min drive and it leaves at 7/7.30 (depending on whereabouts in Maldon) and gets back at 5.15 - we are in catchment for Chelmsford but about as far removed from transport as possible it seems if you are in catchment :lol:
KB wrote:surely as part of the deal she has to get herself up :D

because of course mine (who are significantly older!) all manage that :roll:

You made me laugh - I did get her up for the first 2 days and then she got up herself the next few days :lol: but who knows how long that would last :roll: but she does seem fine with the earlier time :)
KB

Post by KB »

Hi
From what you say I think my bigger concern would be that there is no transport to school from within walking distance of your house - meaning she is dependant on you to get to and from school every day of term for the next 7 years.
Apart from the issues if you are not able to drive her for whatever reason it will also impact on her independence going forward.

Glad I made you smile - it can all get a bit stressful can't it!