iPad in Secondary school

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ccl

iPad in Secondary school

Post by ccl »

Our son's grammar school ask parents to buy their son an ipad to be used in school. All decisions have been made.

Have you had to buy this for your children? Are they in that case using it a lot in lessons? Positive/Negative feedback much appreciated.

I think it would have been reasonable if they would have had a meeting before they made the decision. After all, we are supposed to pay.

Personally, I prefer androids (pricewise and cost of applications) or even better a small laptop if they really must have something. You can't even put a memory stick in an ipad. In many subjects they don't have text books(!), I would much have prefered that we would have been asked to buy him a book in eg physics. Kids also need books esp for studying. An ebook is not the same thing when you study. (maybe I'm old-fashioned)

Anyway, I just wanted to hear what other schools have done re ipads/androids/laptops and if you feel that they possibly learn better.

thanks
KS10

Re: iPad in Secondary school

Post by KS10 »

You sound like a very reasonable person. I would not have been so calm. I think it's downright cheeky to expect parents to fork out that sort of cash. I would also be worried about potential damage through carrying it back and forth.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Personally I find it completely unreasonable that the school are expecting parents to equip their children with iPads (or any other brand of tablet computers for that matter!).

The whole point of grammar schools is that they are supposed to provide opportunities for bright kids who aren't from wealthy backgrounds. How much is an iPad? £300+? Not everyone can afford that especially in the current climate.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD's GS had netbooks for year 9-11 and laptops in the 6th form. parents pay so much a month - think most people do it. the IT technicians sort out the problems....
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

My dd broke her net book screen dropping it on the floor less than 8 months after we bought it.

She can't afford a new one so does without.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

One of the GSs round here does this - I think they can buy them (maybe rent them??) through the school at a discount. I think it's outrageous & makes them a target getting off the bus.
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I wouldn't be so happy with the iPad .... the laptop is fine (so last week :roll: :lol: )
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Our school are just instigating this, following the route of two other local boys gs. They initially said we had to buy an ipad, but other schools had set the precedent at allowing kids to rent at £18 a month, including insurance, and you own the ipad after 2 years, so following a meeting, that is what we are now doing.
Although the schools are academies now they still have to follow protocol...seems daft they have to send out a letter about voluntary contributions for school trips in school hours, but they are demanding you spend £400 + insurance for equipment used in school.

What area are you in? Please feel free to use the bucks gs precedent, it is quite a strong point.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Completely and utterly outrageous and unreasonable. I agree completely that GS is meant to be for children of ALL backgrounds, regardless of wealth, and they are expecting them to fork out for an ipad??? What happens if they have 3 children at GS? Absolutely unacceptable. I hope you and many other parents feel able to push back and say no way. And this is before you even start on what someone else has raised, that it could make them a prime target on public transport/walking home. I baulk at the blanket expectation that everyone has complete internet access, but I guess I am a bit of a ludite in that regard and should expect that that is required, but a tablet? No way.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The GS my son is at has a laptop scheme costing £23 a month for 2 years; for that they get an Asus notebook with windows 8 and MS Office suite in a very sturdy case which has support at school and insurance.

For me this was a plus as DS is dyspraxic and prefers to type a lot of his work and he does seem to use it a lot in school and with everyone having one he does not have to be the odd one out.

I am not sure about Ipads though as I like a proper keyboard and a full screen to view.

The major issue for me is the weight of ds's bag though as he does have texts books for maths and languages- I guess it is helping him to get fitter ! I do wonder how it works for those with very limited incomes though.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now