Educating Yorkshire - Musharaf

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Educating Yorkshire - Musharaf

Post by Snowdrops »

Have been watching and thoroughly enjoying this series (also watched Educating Essex). I think it gives a great insight into how schools operate and the difference/similarities between schools, pupils and places.

All that being said, I have never been so moved as when Musharaf (who has a severe stammer) spoke so eloquently and clearly for the first time when preparing for his English speaking exam. Mr Burton is truly a great teacher. Mr Burton suggested he wore headphones and listened to music whilst he spoke, 'cos he'd been warching The King's Speech, and it worked for him. Musharaf then went on to give a speech at his year assembly and literally had everyone in tears. And all because he found his voice.
bondgirl

Re: Educating Yorkshire - Musharaf

Post by bondgirl »

Wasn't it fantastic! I was in floods too :lol:
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Snowdrops wrote:Have been watching and thoroughly enjoying this series (also watched Educating Essex). I think it gives a great insight into how schools operate and the difference/similarities between schools, pupils and places.

All that being said, I have never been so moved as when Musharaf (who has a severe stammer) spoke so eloquently and clearly for the first time when preparing for his English speaking exam. Mr Burton is truly a great teacher. Mr Burton suggested he wore headphones and listened to music whilst he spoke, 'cos he'd been warching The King's Speech, and it worked for him. Musharaf then went on to give a speech at his year assembly and literally had everyone in tears. And all because he found his voice.
It had me in tears too, Snowdrops. Fantastic programme.

JD
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Me too. Deeply moving.
Etienne
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Lovely write up about it all here. The thought processes, the offers and what hapoened next!

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... -1-6180856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Yes we were all teary eyed here too! What a determined, polite and wonderfully likable young boy. A credit to the school and his parents. May he have every success!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks chaps now I and DDs can catch it on replay before we go away-missed that somehow!
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

one of the best pieces of documentary ever!! Credit to Colin Firth's portrayal as well to an extent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHY2UzOonig
copella

Post by copella »

Agree it was absolutely brilliant. I allowed my youngest to stay up and we were both chocked at the end.

I can't do anything as fancy as put in links, but Musharaf has written a comment on the Guardian comments website page about the filming and his thoughts which are all positive. Just goes to show not only do you need to be qualified to be a teacher but also have great emotional understanding. That schools seems great, can't believe just how supportive they are.
copella

Post by copella »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... -4-stammer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is the link. I hope it works :D