Question re standardisation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kittymum

Question re standardisation

Post by kittymum »

Hi

A quick query re standardisation. A friend was telling me about a friend of theirs whose results letter gave them the number of marks which had been deducted from their score due to standardisation.

I didn't think standardisation worked this way and that marks weren't added / subtracted merely like compared with like, means established and so on and so forth and certainly my Ds's results mentioned nothing about marks being added / subtracted. I'm guessing the person had misinterpreted the data given somehow but just wanted to double check that I understood standardisation correctly.

Thank you :D
scary mum

Re: Question re standardisation

Post by scary mum »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

Thank you - I've read that many times in the past. I was just confused as someone said their score showed marks deducted and I just wanted to check there wasn't anything different this year.
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

Hi Kittymum,
I just re-read my results letter for Bucks and there was absolutely nothing about marks deducted. Sanna
LeprechaunQueen

Post by LeprechaunQueen »

kittymum wrote:Hi

A quick query re standardisation. A friend was telling me about a friend of theirs whose results letter gave them the number of marks which had been deducted from their score due to standardisation.
I think you could argue that the effect of rounding down has been to deduct marks though. For example a range of standardised scores between 90 and 94.99 on the Bucks NVR papers could all potentially be rounded down, after weighting, to the same score - 18.

But that was not really mentioned on the letter
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now