Travelling to Tonbridge or Dartford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nowornever

Travelling to Tonbridge or Dartford

Post by Nowornever »

Morning All

Probably along with everybody else at the moment, I'm struggling to make the right choices for my DC on the CAF. My DD is fortunate enough to have achieved a mark in the Kent Selection Test that would, on known facts over the last few years, enable her to obtain an offer from TGS and maybe DGGS but I'm concerned about the travelling. We are from the Petts Wood/Orpington area.

DGSG is closer as the crow flies but because of the coach and train timetables there doesn't seem to be much difference between the total travelling time. Am I correct?

However whereas DGGS would be one coach ride, to get to Tonbridge she would have a walk at each end of the journey plus two trains! I went to Orpington station last week to see how many children were travelling and there was one TGS girl in the middle of about 15 Judd boys! She was popular to be sure but she'd like to have a few more similar age girls to travel with.

Did I pick a bad day or are there more TGS girls normally travelling from Orpington? I know it's a personal choice but I'd be keen to hear what other people think about the relative merits of the two journeys?

Thanks
Bobmumof3

Re: Travelling to Tonbridge or Dartford

Post by Bobmumof3 »

I know 3 girls from my dd class last year that went to tgs. They all get the 7.39 from Orpington direct to Tonbridge and then walk to the school (10-15 mins). Basically plenty of time. Even the 7.54 gets them there n time but they have to walk quickly up the hill!

I'm putting Judd above DGS for my ds, so I've also been doing my research :-)

Good luck x
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Oh I should say they get the Petts wood train to Orpington first! Around 7.20 ish?
My dd gets a 7.30 train to Bromley and occasionally sees them if she's early enough!

The coach is at 7.30 ish roughly. I see it on my way to work!

My personal concern about DGS is if you miss the coach the journey is a pain from Petts wood!
Nowornever

Post by Nowornever »

Hi BMo3

Thanks for your reply.

Wow the 7.24 from Petts Wood is early! I was on the 7.54 from Orpington. Maybe that was a little late!

That's a good point about missing the single Dartford/Wilmington coach.

Whatever we choose DD is going to have to have to get up a lot earlier!

Good Luck with the Judd. From what I've read it's a fab school.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

We had the same dilemma last year for DS - Judd vs DGS from Bromley. We went with DGS which DS preferred but the journey was part of the decision. He gets the coach but has to get public buses home 1 or 2 times a week after clubs which seems to be working out fine. I was happier with the coach option partly in case he left PE bags/trombone on it - a lot easier to trace than if it were on the 269 bus/7.35 to Tonbridge :lol: As a commuter to work in London, I also know how unreliable Southeastern trains frequently are. There again, I suppose there will be lots of DCs affected.

Good luck with your decision.
Nowornever

Post by Nowornever »

Thanks Bondgirl.

It's clear that the ease or otherwise of the trip is a major part of this decision. I too commute to London and know how problematic trains can be with "special rain", "different leaves" and the myriad of other feeble excuses we hear regularly.

You make a good point about travelling after school clubs and leaving things on the train/bus. I can also see my DD missing the coach a few times so BMo3's got me worrying a bit too.

Decisions, decisions!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

The other thing it might be worth considering is how often you will have to visit the school. Ironically, I go to DD1's school (which is just over a mile away) about three times a year, whereas I seem to be at DS's school (10 miles away) about 3 times a week at the moment either for rugby training, concerts. open evenings etc.

Hope you make the right choice - I remember it all seeming very last minute last year to make such an important decision.
Nowornever

Post by Nowornever »

Thanks Bondgirl for yet another relevant factor - how often we need to visit the school - which we hadn't thought about.

It's a last minute panic now!