State School to University Success - Data Dashboard

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
miniwheels70

State School to University Success - Data Dashboard

Post by miniwheels70 »

Hello

Last year, I created a dashboard showing the Top English State Schools by University Success.
http://public.tableausoftware.com/share ... _count=yes

This summer, the government again released a statistical dataset showing the destinations of key stage 4 and key stage 5 pupils: 2010 to 2011

As before, this dashboard specifically shows the success rate of schools in England at sending their pupils to the top ranked academic universities, based on Key Stage 5 pupils in 2011. These pupils would have entered higher education in 2012.

Trends are compared at Region and Local Authority level and individual school results can be seen in the lower table. You can also search by school name.

http://public.tableausoftware.com/views ... _count=yes

If you wish to explore the original datasets, you can get them here (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 10-to-2011)

I hope some people find this information useful. I have not manipulated the data and I am not advocating only looking at this information to choose schools. I am simply trying to make the data more accessible to the wider public.

Thanks
Guest55

Re: State School to University Success - Data Dashboard

Post by Guest55 »

This sort of information is just not a sensible use of data in my opinion!

Students choose degrees for reasons OTHER than than the fact of whether the institution is Russell group.

Some degrees are taught much better, with better employment prospects and industry links, at non-Russell universities. Some students with high predictions choose to apply to these universities.

As someone who has helped students choose the appropriate universities to apply to the Government's obsession with Oxbridge and RG is unhelpful.
JSN

Post by JSN »

I find any king of objective data useful.
I would guess most people on this forum are very intelligent and can decide for themselves , it's always people within the teaching profession that would like us mere mortals not to have access to open data because we obviously cannot come to a balanced judgement all by ourselves without expects interpreting things for us.
sorry I went to uni as well and got s-level distrinction in maths and physics!
so thanks miniwheels for ypur hard work
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

JSN - your comments are rather implying that I would want to hide data; far from it!

It's just that this sort of data is misleading. As someone with a maths degree (and higher qualifications in maths) and who teaches A level further maths including statistics, I think I am in a good postition to judge the quality of data and its inferences.
JSN

Post by JSN »

unfortunately people like myself have to pick up the pieces of the woefully inadequate maths teaching in our schools, just the other day I was teathing a 3rd yr med student about how to calculate the fluid replacement required for a child of age P, wt Q ,degree of dehydration R , could she get it? and she got the top grade in A level maths!
in the end we just reverted to an app !!! to work it out for her ,just to stop her killing someone.
Last edited by JSN on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

woefully inadequate maths teaching in our schools
One example is not a proof - maths teaching is far better than when I was at school.

Comparing schools ignores the fact that many Year 12 cohorts are not the same as the Year 11 cohort from that school.
JSN

Post by JSN »

"One example is not a proof "
thats my point I like raw data , uncorrupted by personal bias or agenda's
I come across this level of maths skills at uni level all the time ,maths is too important for the syllabus to ahve been dumbed down as it has been in the last 25yrs
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/25 ... s-ago.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.score-education.org/media/31 ... iculty.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by JSN on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neveragain*

Post by neveragain* »

Maybe I'm being rather dim ( :lol: ) but I don't understand why, when I know that a certain amount of students went for example to Oxbridge that year, they are shown to have sent 0% of students...........
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I would like to say a big thank you to mini wheels, as this data may be deceptive or wrong or whatever, but as far as I am concerned it has completely put my mind at rest with regard to my sons learning objectives, as he has not been successful at his 11+ but his local upper clearly does not let that hold their kids back from top notch further education, and if I am being duped I would like it to stay that way!
I have no snobbery with regards uni, as I went to an ex poly on company sponsorship, which is a fabulous opportunity, if it can be found, but is as rare as hens teeth these days.
Thank you.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - neveragain* - the data is incorrect ... I've checked a couple of schools.