bus pass to Ashlawn if place via MFL not 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Janeymorris

bus pass to Ashlawn if place via MFL not 11+

Post by Janeymorris »

Is anybody able to help a friend of mine who is out of catchment for Ashlawn, has a very good score at MFL but had a bad day on 11plus. If they get a place via MFL route will they have to pay for(or even get) a bus pass when the passes are only given to you for your nearest school over 3 miles (which it isn't) or nearest grammer.? How does it work for MFL places at Ashlawn (when its counted as non selective but they are really mixed with grammer). At nearly £600 year they,re a bit worried, Thanks
Optimist

Re: bus pass to Ashlawn if place via MFL not 11+

Post by Optimist »

Hi

We live in Warwickshire and are ooc for East warks and South Warks Grammar Schools. The Warks Council Transport division have clarified that we are not eligible for free transport or any subsidies. So if you are not living in the catchment for grammar school, then you will not get free transport.
Janeymorris

Post by Janeymorris »

This friend is in catchment for Eastern grammer ie if his DS had got place by 11+ route would get bus pass, but as it will most likely be via MFL route (which you have to put Ashlawn non selective on admission form) will they get a bus pass as if he had got into selective?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Ring the transport people on 01926 742059 for a definitive answer. My suspicion is that they will say they won't fund it as they have really tightened up - Warks 6th formers/College students still have to pay, even though it is now compulsory for children to stay in education till they are 17/18. But your friend should really call them and speak to them direct as they are very helpful! Good luck!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

We live in the S Warks priority area, and our chosen grammar is more than 3 miles away, but as we have at least 2 other comps nearer to us I had assumed we would have to pay for transport to Stratford. Is this not the case - I always thought you had to chose your nearest school AND it be more than 3 miles away to qualify for free transport???

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My understanding is that if you live in Warwickshire, in the priority circle (ie not just the priority circle as this can include parts of Oxon for e.g.) and you get a place at the grammar school, the LEA fund it as if it was your nearest school (as it is technically your nearest (grammar) school). But, the best thing is to check direct with the transport dept at the number I gave above. Certainly, our South Warks catchment comprehensive is only about 4 miles from us but the GS is about 10 miles and we have a funded bus pass.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

And, to further clarify, if we had selected AGS, which we are also priority circle for but is more like 15 miles away (I'm guessing, I haven't got a clue but it is certainly much further) we would still have got a bus pass for that too as it counts as if it was your comprehensive catchment school. But do check your individual circumstances with transport.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Thanks Kenyancowgirl - that's really interesting. We definitely live in Warwickshire. We have always fully expected to have to pay for transport as we have nearer schools, so would probably have never even asked the question. I will certainly be asking the LA now. :)

JD
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

You actually need to live in the Southern or Eastern areas of Warwickshire to be eligible for free transport. So there will be people in the Central or Northern parts of the county who are inside the circles, but not eligible. Essentially that means that if you are in Warwickshire and your catchment school would be Ashlawn, Harris, Bilton or Avon Valley (for LSS/RHS/Ashlawn selective) or Alcester Academy, Henley in Arden, Kineton, Shipston, Stratford-upon-Avon or Studley (for SGS/KES/AGS).

The policy does say "grammar schools may be considered the nearest qualifying school" - but it isn't that clear about the situation if you, say lived nearer to Alcester, but chose to apply to KES. Presumably if your score only qualified for one then as you didn't have the choice of the other you'd be ok - but if you just chose the one which was further away having got a score which would have been ok for either? Perhaps something to consider and check with them if you're in that situation.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

That is a good point Okanagan, as the people we know who live in our village and go to AGS on a free bus pass, didn't have a choice, in the sense they didn't qualify for the nearer Stratford Grammar Schools - so definitely worth checking everyone - they can only say no and they might say yes!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now