Shenfield to WHSB or SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TGIN

Shenfield to WHSB or SHSB

Post by TGIN »

Hi there
I wonder if anyone has experience of the best journeys into either of these schools particularly by train. I'm aware there are contract buses too and would gladly hear of experiences using them from shenfield too. But I understand the buses leave very early!

It's so difficult to choose between the schools and wondering whether a decision should be made on ease of transport. Many thanks
ToadMum

Re: Shenfield to WHSB or SHSB

Post by ToadMum »

From Shenfield the train journey to SHSB would be the easiest - Shenfield to Prittlewell arriving about 0750 then about 15 minutes' walk. No idea about the contract buses to either school (we are local) so there may be one you would feel happier with but personally I prefer public transport for its flexibility. Also, for the train, you can get a discounted Scholars' season ticket (either termly or a more advantageous annual - see http://www.greenrailtravel.co.uk/acatal ... ation.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Shenfield to Chalkwell for WHSB is more complicated as they are on different systems; you could do Shenfield - Southend Victoria (a few minutes on from Prittlewell) then get Arriva Bus 29 or First Bus 21 back westwards, I suppose. Both these routes stop directly outside WHSB. You can add PlusBus to your Scholars' season :D

Lots of DC use the train, and the local buses are pretty full with kids from all the local schools at "coming and going" times.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
2 to go

Post by 2 to go »

The contract bus to Westcliff from Shenfield leaves at 7.25am and returns at approximately 4.35pm.
The pupils who travel by train from Shenfield leave at a similar time.
TGIN

Post by TGIN »

Thank you - this forum is excellent!
sleeplessinhalstead

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

is there a contract bus from Shenfield station which goes to SHSG?

thanks
talea51

Post by talea51 »

No, there isn't. I think SHSG children take the train to Southend Vic from Shenfield and then get a public bus to SHSG.

I think there may be a contract bus from Billericay, but not sure.
mum of boys

Post by mum of boys »

talea51 wrote:I think there may be a contract bus from Billericay, but not sure.
SBC did try to get a bus running from Billericay to SHSG, but didn't have enough interest. All the girls go by train to Southend Victoria and then bus to SHSG.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mum of boys wrote:
talea51 wrote:I think there may be a contract bus from Billericay, but not sure.
SBC did try to get a bus running from Billericay to SHSG, but didn't have enough interest. All the girls go by train to Southend Victoria and then bus to SHSG.
SHSG has had problems recently with the timing of the Arriva buses in the morning, with girls arriving late for registration (I understand some of the girls have got up a petition about it :)) . Arriva are altering the timetable for their route 1 as of 17th November, which one hopes will make things better http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedfile ... 300913.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now