Appeal statistics 2005-06

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Etienne

Appeal statistics 2005-06

Post by Etienne »

The latest available national appeal statistics (2005-06, provisional) were published earlier this year:
www.dfes.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR/s000728/index.shtml

Click on download format: PDF
Table 1 on page 5 gives overall figures, year by year, for primary and secondary schools.
Table 2 on page 6 gives a breakdown of the 2005-06 figures according to type of school (community/VC, VA, foundation).

Click on EXCEL
Table 3 gives figures for individual Local Authorities.

Unfortunately the Department does not publish separate figures for grammar schools, and the Local Authority figures do not show community/VC, VA, and foundation schools separately.
Etienne
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Etienne

The following are the appeal statistics for 2006 for the 5 Birmingham King Edward VI Foundation Grammar Schools (from the Foundation Governors Report):-

The number of admission appeals was 164, compared to 165 in 2005, which had been nearly half the previous year’s figure. The number
pursued to a final hearing increased from 65 to 83. Four appeals were agreed.
4 successful out of 164

Regards

Ken
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Many thanks, Ken.

Catherine has provided figures for the Slough grammar schools, which can be found in the Q&As section E.

If anyone else has hard information about grammar school statistics in other areas, please do let us know.
Etienne
Katie

stats

Post by Katie »

Well I think you probably know these statistic by now - but nayway.....
Churston Ferrers Grammar School, Torbay : 2007 : 5 appeals - none successful.

2006 : 1 appeal : none successful.
None successful in seven consecutive years I'm afraid.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Someone has kindly provided the following 11+ figures for Buckinghamshire, 2006:
  • 981 appeals against non-qualification
    381 upheld (38%)
    600 unsuccessful

65 appeals for entry to oversubscribed grammar schools
    17 upheld (26%)
    48 unsuccessful

104 appeals for entry to oversubscribed upper schools
    67 upheld (64%)
    37 unsuccessful
Etienne
Katie

Post by Katie »

Oh to live in Buckinhamshire and stand a chance of having an appeal upheld!
Envy envy envy! :P

Post by Guest »

KenR wrote:Hi Etienne

The following are the appeal statistics for 2006 for the 5 Birmingham King Edward VI Foundation Grammar Schools (from the Foundation Governors Report):-

The number of admission appeals was 164, compared to 165 in 2005, which had been nearly half the previous year’s figure. The number
pursued to a final hearing increased from 65 to 83. Four appeals were agreed.
4 successful out of 164

Regards

Ken
Only 83 pursued to a final hearing though, which in real terms means that about half the original appellants either accepted they didn't have a case that would bear scrutiny or just couldn't be bothered when they realised it would involve them in a bit of effort. (If I understand your figures correctly.)
Katie

Post by Katie »

Interested to read you last post........have you considered that many parents are fearful of not getting their 2nd choice school either and looking at previous years stats they plump for that rather than face the lottery of the appeals system?
Wouldn't want to go through it again! :)
Suki

Post by Suki »

Hi All

I know what you are all going through, I was feeling exactly the same this time last year. My son scored 120 in both Bucks papers. All of us, especially him was devastated as he had worked so hard prior to the exams. We did appeal and received an excellent recommendation from his Head Teacher, she predicted Level 5's for Sats and provided a personal statement stating his ability and behaviour, she also highlighted his dedication to his studies including his excellent attendance record.

We were obviously very nervous on the day of the appeal, however I was very pleasantly surprised at how nice the panel were, they were there to help us and not challenge us, all my husband and I did was present the facts.

The day we received the letter that we were sucessful in the appeal was so emotional, my son was over the moon. He started at Burnham Grammar in Sept 07 and absolutely loves it.

So all I would say is just be calm and present the facts as they are, I know it is an emotional time but try and hold the emotions back on the appeal day.

Good luck to all.

Post by Guest »

Katie wrote:Interested to read you last post........have you considered that many parents are fearful of not getting their 2nd choice school either and looking at previous years stats they plump for that rather than face the lottery of the appeals system?
Wouldn't want to go through it again! :)
Nothing to stop them doing both if they think they have a case - they can accept what is offered and pursue appeals for what they want.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now