Ipswich schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sleeplessinhalstead

Ipswich schools

Post by sleeplessinhalstead »

Hi, not exactly and Essex/11+ question, but I hope no one minds, the Indie section seems very London centric.

I am still looking at plan b's for DD2, was considering St Mary's in Colchester. I've had some recommendations for Ipswich School, can any one comment on Ipswich High School for Girls too please? If anyone has experience of the entrance exams/standard/scholarships that would be very helpful. pm's ok if you prefer. DD2 is taking St Mary's exam on 9th, so if anyone can comment on that too it would be useful, I am struggling to get her to do much post 11+ trauma.

thank you
KB

Re: Ipswich schools

Post by KB »

I'll PM you.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

I shall PM you too.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

DD took the St Marys exam. It was I believe maths, english and a mixed reasoning paper. She said the morning was very relaxed compared to the 11 plus and the exam much easier (she claims easier than year 6 sats). She was very impressed by the mid morning snack! I think she also had an interview, on a different day, to which she had to take along something she was really proud of, to discuss with the headmistress.
With regards to the Ipswich school I would also be very interested in any information regarding their age 11 entry English paper, in particular if it contains an essay component.
Worrisome Mum

Post by Worrisome Mum »

Hi,
I have had a friend's DD sit exam for Ipswich High School for girls. She said it was quite easy compared to 11+ exam. Her DD was offered a place but you need to pay £300 to secure the place (confirmation?). There was an interview too. One of the staff visited DD in her primary school and had a little chat about her likes/dislikes etc.
Overall an outstanding and impressive school. My DS's friend's sister goes to that school and is very pleased and happy. Had some inital hiccups.. making new friends etc but later on settled very well and doing great. I have a DS so sorry my personal experience is limited other than that DS's swimming club trains at the school's swimming pool which is quite impressive.
All the best!
toolate

Post by toolate »

My DD is there and V. v. happy. So much so, I withdrew he from the 11+ this year as I wasn't really considering moving her.

I do find the Junior school a little light intellectually - but the senior school is a different story apparently.
There is also a fantastic new head - who was deputy head of Putney High - who is young, committed and ambitious - all very good signs. I have friends who work there who say she is setting it alight...

I would write more but have 5 year old peering over shoulder desperate to get on computer...
feel free to PM me.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Minesatia - contact Yvette Morton at Ipswich School - past papers are available. http://www.ipswich.suffolk.sch.uk/senio ... dmissions/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KB

Post by KB »

Yes there is an essay part to Ipswich school entrance.
The assessment is less hard and fast than GS selection though.
They are looking at ability and potential rather than raw scores eg. if they make silly mistakes on the easy maths questions but demonstrate ability on the problem solving this would be considered rather than just he total score.
Similarly with the essay paper - looking for evidence of skills and ability to communicate, make an argument etc)
For those coming from state primaries there is consideration of where they will be on the NC by the time of the testing.

For those called to scholarship interviews there was a series of interviews. Some years ago now but included looking at science experiment to comment on it (looking at thought processes not prior knowledge) and talking about a book read recently.
mikedellfarm

Post by mikedellfarm »

Ipswich School

Last year for Scholarship (academic) they did 3 interviews/tests. English, Science and the Headmaster. English was a test, read a passage and a poem and ask questions on use of words, meaning. Science - asked about materials, discussed an experiment and asked to predict outcome. Head of Year and Headmaster interview - interests, topical discussion and then some maths problems.

It is a great School with fabulous and committed staff.
KB

Post by KB »

Oh yes, forgot the topical discussion bit - watched Newsround for two weeks beforehand!

It is indeed a great school!

Were you aware there is a bus from Halstead to the school? Times are similar to those that my DD undertook and managed just fine. Although she did take noise cancelling headphones for when the noise was too much on the way home :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now