Dulwich College - opinions/experience

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ClappedOutMum

Dulwich College - opinions/experience

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Having just visited on an open day, I was very impressed. Liked the atmosphere.

Anyone on this have actual DS experience there?

Also, I saw on the FT listings that there was a major drop in academic output (A levels) in the last published tables (2012). Down 47 places from what they achieved in 2011 on the FT measures. Just a quirk of the cohort or an indication of anything underlying?
moose

Re: Dulwich College - opinions/experience

Post by moose »

My cousin graduated Dulwich. He absolutely loved the school, graduated Harvard after and became a banker earning millions in his early thirties! :)
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Thanks, Moose. Just bumping to see if I can get some more feedback (a little more recent!)
agathachristie

Post by agathachristie »

A good friends son is at Dulwich and loves it. Currently In sixth form (10+) occasional place entry. Can't give detailed info on why the drop in academics except to say that he has loved his time there for the all rounded approach to education. He continues to thrive there and speaks highly of staff support.
JSN

Post by JSN »

raw data is much the same as before 2013 better than 2011 , 2012 a lower then average cohort? most likely
if there was a problem one would expect a drop acros gcse and a levels.
the raw data shows otherwise
my sons' school has never been out the top 20 of the ft-rankings but 2012 languishing in the 60's
am i worried - yes a little
maybe other schools have "upped their game" good for them!- the grammars are really giving us a run for our money IMO but I think they take it to far , top grammars have a brutal culling at 6th form to maintain league position ( cough-- under one's breath --q.e for boys) quite disgraceful you are dealing with children-they should be named and shamed!, Eton would never do this they commit to whole 5yrs( from yr 9) come what may and no my son does not go there-if only :mrgreen: ( provided you can pay the 30+K FEES :evil: )
http://www.dulwich.org.uk/college/acade ... on-results" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Just bumping this up since received a letter about the exam day coming up in January.

Was concerned to read that (assuming that goes well) they interview parents as well as the DSs. And that they do so in a group of three sets of parents - yikes!!!

Anyone been through that interview day and can shed light as to what to expect (esp for us poor parents, not the DSs).

It also seems like a long, long day for DS. 90 minutes of reasoning, 75 mins English and 60 mins Maths!!!
Jess

Post by Jess »

If it's the same format as last year it's not an interview, more an opportunity for the Head to set out his vision for the school and an opportunity for parents to ask any questions they may have. All very relaxed and informal.

All the boys seemed to cope with the length of the exam day last year-I don't think it's that much longer than the other schools. I do remember that they were all really pushed for time in the English paper though-pretty sure that my DS didn't finish it but was still offered a place (and a scholarship) so tell your DS not to panic if he's running out of time.

Good luck!
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

Jess wrote:If it's the same format as last year it's not an interview, more an opportunity for the Head to set out his vision for the school and an opportunity for parents to ask any questions they may have. All very relaxed and informal.

All the boys seemed to cope with the length of the exam day last year-I don't think it's that much longer than the other schools. I do remember that they were all really pushed for time in the English paper though-pretty sure that my DS didn't finish it but was still offered a place (and a scholarship) so tell your DS not to panic if he's running out of time.

Good luck!
Thanks, Jess. Well done to your DS. Did he take up the place? Either way: a good choice?
Jess

Post by Jess »

No, we didn't take the place. We did like Dulwich but our preference was always for a co-ed school. He was also offered Trinity, Alleyn's and Latymer and we went with Latymer in the end, after much agonising! He's loving it and we're really pleased with it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now