PC gone mad

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jon

PC gone mad

Post by Jon »

The children at our Primary School were told not to talk about the 11+ incase it hurt the feelings of those who didn't pass, they weren't even allowed to ask their friends how they did! Neither the teachers or the headmaster made any comment to those who were successful. This from a school that hands out certificates if you can tie your shoes or blow your nose, and is very quick to criticise those less able at sports.

Is it just me, or is it not unreasonable to assume that a discreet 'well done' was in order?
becky

Re: PC gone mad

Post by becky »

They said that at our school to!

I think they say it at every school.[/b]
janet

Post by janet »

They said it at our school to its called bourne abbey primary school! :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I can understand praising small achievements, as Senco I realised how important they are to teh children, but I abhor teh fact that we don't mention achievemnts for everyone. It is discrimination!

I remember my daughter in reception being really upset because almost everyone else in teh class had " good reading" stickers and she had never had one...

She could read before she went to school so wasn't seen as needing encouragement. In fact her reception class teacher told us on teh first parents evening " all she seems to want to do is play in teh Wendy house"...My husband's reply .. "She is FIVE"..her reply?

well I suppose so
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yoyo123,

Oh I so agree! 'm also all for encouraging everyone but that does include the most able too!
jazzteddy

Post by jazzteddy »

Jon wrote:The children at our Primary School were told not to talk about the 11+ incase it hurt the feelings of those who didn't pass, they weren't even allowed to ask their friends how they did! Neither the teachers or the headmaster made any comment to those who were successful. This from a school that hands out certificates if you can tie your shoes or blow your nose, and is very quick to criticise those less able at sports.

Is it just me, or is it not unreasonable to assume that a discreet 'well done' was in order?

When my son passed his 11 plus, on the day of the results, I went in to pick him up from school and the headmistress was all smiles and said she and all the teaching staff had known since the morning that he had been successful.

He was called up, told he had passed and the whole year 6 class cheered. He then went in to the year 5 class and was cheered there too, with the teacher saying that he had aimed high and so should they. He has since returned to his junior school, in full grammer regalia and answered questions about his experience of the test and grammer school life. Many children were encouraged by this and several children and their parents attended the grammer school open evening as a result.

Sometimes a child who achieves their goal can be an inspiration to the others to aim high too.

Sadly, we really are far too pc these days.
lorry

praise from school

Post by lorry »

:D Found out my daugher had the required level of passmark on Saturday - great news - thought all the worrying was over but need to wait now for confirmed place. She went in yesterday full of joy - apparently 7 out of the 12 who had taken it had passed. Form teacher made a fuss and gave them a hug but no word from the headmistress. I find it quite strange that the school does not take the opinion that when some of its pupils do well - it has a positive effect on all. I do feel for those who did not pass - it could so easily have been my daughter - but surely this is all part of the learning process. There are going to be disappointments in life as well as positive moments.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Agree with everyones sentiments. Our school seems almost embarrassed that people are going to GS. They don't seem to realise that for most parents a schools success rate at 11+ is a key measurement.
james b

Post by james b »

we also experienced this attitude by our local primary last year. what a ridiculous attitude- they were almost treating those who were successful like a bunch of losers! they have this crazy idea about the 11 plus being of no importance and laud the "achievements " of the local sec mod. we went round on a visit expecting to experience this "centre of excellence " (our child did not pass) and were so impressed that we have remortgaged our house and ( thank the lord) succeeded in getting her into a fantastic local independent , much, i would add, against the advice of the primary!
david55

Post by david55 »

Please read the topic on Foundation status next to this one relating to one of the Bourne Primary schools it makes interesting if disturbing reading.

A friend of a friend thinks the head is more interested in "gloss" and pc together with working on an MBE than the true academic achievement of the children- a bit acidic and hopefully untrue, but if thats what people think, then it doesn't matter whether its true or not, the feeling is there.

dave s