New to 11 Plus - Any Advice for home tuition?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Newbie121

New to 11 Plus - Any Advice for home tuition?

Post by Newbie121 »

Hi everyone, I have come across this board and decided to take the plunge. DC is in year 4 and we are looking to do the 11 plus in two years time. Sounds like a long time away but I know time will fly. From what I have read, we can apply to the Slough schools but the Bucks ones we are not in the catchment. However, we may move to Bucks if need arises.

We haven't started any tuition yet but going to start a few bits at home. I would appreciate any advice in regard to anyone who has done the 11 plus tuition from home. I have some books from CGP that we will be starting on.

All advice appreciated. Thank you.
sonasona

Re: New to 11 Plus - Any Advice for home tuition?

Post by sonasona »

Welcome to the forum :)

If you are looking to move then maybe the Reading Grammer schools would suit too.

Here's a great place to start which area you are in................http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 10&t=29647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sona
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Hi Sonasona
Many thanks for your reply and the link. It is really helpful. Unfortunately Reading is too far for us to move so need to concentrate on Slough and Bucks. We can are allowed in Berks from where we are but not in Bucks but wonder consider a move there.

Did you home tutor?

Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Relevant study materials for Slough Grammar 11+ can be found here.

Relevant study materials for Bucks Grammar 11+ can be found here.

Both Counties use different test boards, which means different types of tests for each. Bucks use the CEM board, and Slough use NFER.
If you are DIYing at home and plan for your DC to sit both the above links will take you to the books you will need to cover for each of these tests.

Hth

Bw
Newbie121

Post by Newbie121 »

Thank you BW.

I have bought a set of the CGP books for 11 plus. Has anyone got experiance of those? Did you find them any good?

xx
Ironman12

Post by Ironman12 »

We found the CGP books very difficult so avoided them and it also knocked DD confidence.

For VR we used Susan Daughtrey books 1-4 to go through all the 35 types and for NVR we used Bond/ Letts books, focusing on actual exam papers over the summer.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Your DC should be able to get into Burnham Grammar from Slough.
scary mum