scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

confusion

scores

Post by confusion »

I was told yesterday by the head of my daughters primary school (no post!) that my daughter had passed and scored 239 which I was pleased about, we are just out of the catchment area and needed a good score, I later phoned the high school of our choice because still ne news through the post and they told me she had scored 248 which I couldnt quite believe, what do the two different scores mean and how many available points are there this year.
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I don't know which school you are aiming for, but I think they had some problem at Spalding High School with the scores.

The head of our primary school on said she had two emails on Friday from the High School - the scores were wrong on the first one, and 10 points were added onto the scores on the second one. So they obviously had some sort of mix up there. If it was Spalding High School you called, that might explain the two scores...
confusion

2 scores!

Post by confusion »

Midnight wrote:I don't know which school you are aiming for, but I think they had some problem at Spalding High School with the scores.

The head of our primary school on said she had two emails on Friday from the High School - the scores were wrong on the first one, and 10 points were added onto the scores on the second one. So they obviously had some sort of mix up there. If it was Spalding High School you called, that might explain the two scores...
Yes it was Spalding High School and thanks for letting me know, I take it the higher score is the one we go on? this all gets very confusing!
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I think whether it's 239 or 248 they are both pretty good scores, so let's hope she gets in.

Did your primary head also get two different emails on Friday - you could mention it to them and they'll know which was the revised one, but I'm pretty sure our head said that they were revised upwards, so in that case, 248 is the 'real' score - which is an amazing one - well done to her!
confusion

Post by confusion »

Midnight wrote:I think whether it's 239 or 248 they are both pretty good scores, so let's hope she gets in.

Did your primary head also get two different emails on Friday - you could mention it to them and they'll know which was the revised one, but I'm pretty sure our head said that they were revised upwards, so in that case, 248 is the 'real' score - which is an amazing one - well done to her!
Thankyou I did have a word today and yes she did get 2 e-mails on friday it seems there was a bit of a mix up but she wouldn't ellaberate what had happened and why! but it is the higher score that is the real score so I'm delighted although I'm not sure how they allocate as I'm out of area do they take the highest ranking or save places for out of catchment area students if you have a good score do you know how it all works?
Midnight

Post by Midnight »

I know the head of the High School explained back in June that they don't take any notice of the score, as long as they have more than 220: whether they have scored 220 or 270 they qualify for a place, but are given preference according to whether they have siblings there, and then by distance.

We're about 8 miles away, and should be OK - the closer you are, the more chance you stand of a place. But score makes no difference at the High School.

Good luck! It's a long time to wait to find out, isn't it!

Post by Guest »

Midnight wrote:I know the head of the High School explained back in June that they don't take any notice of the score, as long as they have more than 220: whether they have scored 220 or 270 they qualify for a place, but are given preference according to whether they have siblings there, and then by distance.

We're about 8 miles away, and should be OK - the closer you are, the more chance you stand of a place. But score makes no difference at the High School.

Good luck! It's a long time to wait to find out, isn't it!
Yeah it is a long time to wait! I have had a word with high school and she said to me that with a score like that my daughter shouldn't have any trouble getting in. I have spoken to the headteacher at my daughters primary school and she said that the only time a score is taken into account is when too many have reached the required standard eg if there are 150 places and 157 kids reach the standard then they look at scores and from what I understand it is usually oversubscribed. So yeah, as long there arn't too many reaching the standard the scores are not important. It is an accademic selective school so scores are taken into account primarily not distance from school. I received a letter with my daughters practice test results and it stated "the Grammar and High Schools fill their available Year 7 places with the highest scorers", and it was signed by the head. Mr Clarke meant that when girls start at the school then they all start equally and the score they achieved in th 11+ is not important everyone starts on the same standing. Distance is important however in choosing who gets a place if 2 girls score the same and there is one place left.