Some stats to think about

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MerlinFromCamelot

Some stats to think about

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

According to Bexley council:

2154 children attending Bexley schools sat the tests, and 2843 from out borough schools. 469 children from Bexley schools (including independent) were deemed selective, and 1024 from out borough schools.

//

Any views on this?
ToadMum

Re: Some stats to think about

Post by ToadMum »

MerlinFromCamelot wrote:According to Bexley council:

2154 children attending Bexley schools sat the tests, and 2843 from out borough schools. 469 children from Bexley schools (including independent) were deemed selective, and 1024 from out borough schools.

//

Any views on this?
So c.21% in- and c.36% out of borough.

As the stats are quoted based on schools rather than residence, do many Bexley children near the borough boundaries attend out of borough schools?

Is Bexley opt-in or opt-out? What proportion of Bexley primary school children does the 2154 represent?

How are places in Bexley grammar schools allocated? Would OOC parents only put their DC in for the test if they thought that they would stand a good chance of getting a high score, whereas Bexley Borough parents let their DC have a go anyway, because the schools are local and they might as well?

What percentage of in-borough DC did the pre-CEM test select?

Just a few thoughts...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Find in other areas that the OOC are more likely to pass as they have opted to take the test and are hence pre selected
mystery

Post by mystery »

Kent is opt in. The ooc pass rate has always been higher. Mostly there is no point in taking the test if you do not live in kent unless you are going to get a high score ( this is not entirely true) and also the ooc test and practices were on Saturdays. Ooc candidates mostly serious entrants whereas plenty of in county candidates just giving it a go.
Filitosa96

Post by Filitosa96 »

Like Toadmum I'd like to know if those ratios have changed post-switch to CEM and post opt-in for Bexley candidates
We live in LB Greenwich so are technically OOC but the borders with Bromley and Bexley are less than 300m from our house and our closest primary is LB Bexley. Our three closest secondaries are one in each borough.
I think it has been patchy this year tbh - I know of two OOC primaries where approx 24 children sat the test and most were predicted to pass, and only a handful did so in each. I also know of a couple where most of the candidates were successful.
So I'd be surprised to hear that a bigger percentage of OOC children were deemed selective this year. I reckon it might be smaller post-CEM.

We need to submit a FOIA request to LB Bexley admissions! :lol:
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

In 2012, 4900 children took the test and 1411 achieved the selective standard. I have not been able to find out how many were Bexley children and how many were ooc/oob. Does anyone know?
Fingerscrossedmum

Post by Fingerscrossedmum »

I did but cant remember!!

I would only have read it on here so maybe worth a trawl through old posts.
Bobmumof3

Post by Bobmumof3 »

Wow that's quite a big difference.

So how many places are there in the Bexley selectives?

I wonder if that will mean the catchment area will increase ?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Bromleymum1 wrote:In 2012, 4900 children took the test and 1411 achieved the selective standard. I have not been able to find out how many were Bexley children and how many were ooc/oob. Does anyone know?
So overall, a percentage point higher pass rate this year (c.29.8% vs c.28.8%). A similar split (very roughly 19/60 IC vs 41/60 OOC I think) as this year, applied to last year's number passing, would have seen about 446 IC passing vs 965 OOC. Does that sound likely?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mystery

Post by mystery »

Bobmumof3 wrote:Wow that's quite a big difference.

So how many places are there in the Bexley selectives?

I wonder if that will mean the catchment area will increase ?
I am being stupid I am sure - what is the big difference?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now