How to get test results from school in writing?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

How to get test results from school in writing?

Post by silverysea »

Hi
Please can anyone advise me...

I need a wimpy, non-pushy parent's guide to obtaining the assessment results from primary and secondary schools, in writing. Things I hear bandied about like CATS, SAT to sub level, etc.

I'd like to do it without causing too much alarm and annoyance-I just want it for my own records and understanding, as the teacher meetings are too rare and rushed. Should I ask using phrases like Freedom of Information or Data Protection, or is there a better terminology to get hold of such things? also other catchphrases besides CATS? Don't know the lingo!

Thanks
tiffinboys

Re: How to get test results from school in writing?

Post by tiffinboys »

If the information is held on computers, the use of provisions under Data Protection Act would be efficient.

Just write to the school to provide all the information held about the data subject (your DC).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Last year, Freedom of Information Act was applied to obtain post-code wise admissions in Tiffin Schools. Tiffin School then published the information on its website as well.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know that primary schools are legally required to give you your SATS level if you ask for them. Our school did not give them to parents before Y6 but after a while they knew that I would come armed with clipboard every parents evening so they had them ready for me. Our secondary schools gives out CATS tests results so I did not have to ask for them. Basically ask for them at parents evenings. It is all there in front of them. DG
daveg

Post by daveg »

Data relating to an individual child is a Data Protection matter. Freedom of Information excludes personally identifiable data (with some exceptions that aren't remotely relevant here).

Good practice would be for a school to give you the information anyway, so stomping in with a DPA subject access request would be a little heavy-booted until you've asked sweetly.

If a school wanted to play hardball, they could refuse to give you the information on the grounds that it relates to your child, and refer to the information commissioner's guidance on the topic. One would hope it wouldn't come to that, but people shouting "Data Protection" and "Freedom of Information" can be annoying, don't tend to have a full grasp of the legislative framework, and it can be fun to yank their chain (from both sides of the desk).
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks all. It's quite hard when I don't know what tests they actually administer, to ask for results.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

I asked for DS's SATs, including sub levels from his class teacher and the teacher sent them home to me that evening. I'd just speak to his teacher and say that you would like to see his scores, including SATs and CATs etc and see what's provided.

At least you will have a starting point.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Brum Mum wrote:I asked for DS's SATs, including sub levels from his class teacher and the teacher sent them home to me that evening. I'd just speak to his teacher and say that you would like to see his scores, including SATs and CATs etc and see what's provided.

At least you will have a starting point.
I had an uphill battle to get this info at the end of year 4. The kids had done the papers and what not but this wasn't included in the end of year report. i asked the teacher but he said that he hadn't worked out the level. I phoned the school later to be told the teacher was on holiday. I went in year 5 at the start and asked her new teacher who didn't have the results at hand, but said she would bring them but later forgot. I went up to her again and only after the third time got them. Persistence pays off. 8)
mystery

Post by mystery »

daveg wrote:Data relating to an individual child is a Data Protection matter. Freedom of Information excludes personally identifiable data (with some exceptions that aren't remotely relevant here).

Good practice would be for a school to give you the information anyway, so stomping in with a DPA subject access request would be a little heavy-booted until you've asked sweetly.

If a school wanted to play hardball, they could refuse to give you the information on the grounds that it relates to your child, and refer to the information commissioner's guidance on the topic. One would hope it wouldn't come to that, but people shouting "Data Protection" and "Freedom of Information" can be annoying, don't tend to have a full grasp of the legislative framework, and it can be fun to yank their chain (from both sides of the desk).
Why is it that someone who wishes to read their own child's school file is considered annoying by a lot of schools? I know this is a common stance but I do not "get" it.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

I have asked (in a nice letter) for DCs school to forward me details of DCs current working levels in Y5. As a supportive parent (not pushy - which seems to be mentioned by some when you have expressed an interest in such detail) I would like to understand at what level my DC is working at, plus to ensure that if there are areas of weakness I can support my DC and the school in helping to overcome them.

... I wait to see when (if) my request is actioned upon!
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now