Reading GS: Out of catchment for 2014 entry - Any Chance?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mikeash

Reading GS: Out of catchment for 2014 entry - Any Chance?

Post by mikeash »

Hi,

For 2014 11+ entry, DS has scored high enough marks to get admission in Reading school, provided designated area rules are not considered.

However, as the school applies designated area policy and we currently live outside these areas, we plan to move into the area this month. In the unlikely scenario of this relocation getting delayed, I suspect DS will fall in category v of oversubscription criteria published on school website.

"....v. Students who home address is NOT in the designated area of the school..."

Given above, could anyone please guide:
(a) For 2013 entry, was any OOC candidate admitted in Reading school (day place)? or were all places filled up by candidates within the designated area itself?
(b) Any realistic chance for 2014 entry for OOC candidate?
(c) For category v mentioned above, what takes priority: distance from school or entrance exam test score?

Thanks.
Mike
aliportico

Re: Reading GS: Out of catchment for 2014 entry - Any Chance

Post by aliportico »

mikeash wrote: "....v. Students who home address is NOT in the designated area of the school..."

Given above, could anyone please guide:
(a) For 2013 entry, was any OOC candidate admitted in Reading school (day place)?

No.
or were all places filled up by candidates within the designated area itself?
Yes.
(b) Any realistic chance for 2014 entry for OOC candidate?
No.
(c) For category v mentioned above, what takes priority: distance from school or entrance exam test score?
No idea, don't think it ever happens.

Sorry not to be more hopeful! Good luck with the move :-)
mikeash

Post by mikeash »

Thanks Aliportico for clarifying the status for 2013 entry.

Mike
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Hope you get everything sorted out :) Moving is stressful enough without added worries of school timescales.
Avi's mom

Post by Avi's mom »

Hi Mike

My DD will take 11+ exam next year in 2014, we are considering Kendrick as one of our option and also we live outside catchment area. You should have seen this in Kendrick frequently asked question guide, but thought of sharing it in case you have missed.

I've not heard anyone offered a place outside catchment, If your DD has got good score best and appropriate thing is to move. All the best with your move. And hearty congratulations for you and your DD.

Q I currently live outside the designated area. If I am moving into the designated area, what is the process for changing my address?
A
Applicants living outside the designated area who move into the area must inform their home LA of the change of address or, if moving to a new LA, must apply to the new LA. IMPORTANT – you should check with your LA the deadline for informing them of a change of address. For Reading Borough Council the date is 1st January 2014. You must also inform Kendrick School in writing of your change of address by 31st January 2014.
Avi's mom

Post by Avi's mom »

c) For category v mentioned above, what takes priority: distance from school or entrance exam test score?

Its purely on ranking order given to each student, ranking depends on

Q - My daughter has scored 109.0 or above. Will she be offered a place?
A -She has reached a standard suitable for a grammar school and therefore could be offered a place. This depends on:
 Including Kendrick as a preferred school on your CAF
 The number of candidates with a scores on or above 109.0 who put Kendrick School on their CAF
 The resulting rank order adjusted for those living within the designated area
 The application, if required, of the oversubscription criteria
mikeash

Post by mikeash »

Thanks Avi's mom.

We are moving into catchment next weekend. Hopefully it put to end all the hard work done so far.

Mike
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Well done Mike for seeing it through....all the best to you.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Let us know when you're in safely!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now