Primary school rules regarding snacks

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
talea51

Primary school rules regarding snacks

Post by talea51 »

My dcs primary school have decided to have a policy regarding healthy snacks for the children. They have decided that only fruit and vegetables are allowed as snacks regardless of the fact that there are many other healthy snack options for children. The policy actually states that they are aware there are other healthy options but they will only be allowing fruit and vegetables and any snacks that don't conform to the policy will be taken away and given to parents at the end of the day.

My question is, does anyone know whether they have a legal right to enforce this policy or, am I within my rights to say that I do not agree with the policy and therefore that I will not abide by it?

I am not saying that I refuse to send my children to school with healthy snacks, I am saying that I feel that I am more than capable of ensuring that my children have a balanced diet and I believe that I am the person who is best placed to decide what my children should and shouldn't be eating.

Are the school in fact allowed to dictate to me what I can and can not feed my children? Do we really live in an Orwellian society?
southbucks3

Re: Primary school rules regarding snacks

Post by southbucks3 »

Are these "snacks" part of their lunch, or for their break time?
talea51

Post by talea51 »

southbucks3 wrote:Are these "snacks" part of their lunch, or for their break time?
They are for break time. They bring in a snack which they have at their first break of the day.
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

God, that's ridiculous.

1. Fruit and vegetables don't contain many calories or protein and aren't really going to help keep the kids full of energy for their day.

2. Not all fruit and veg are actually going to survive well in a lunch box for a few hours. My kids won't take apples or bananas to school because they ended up not so nice.

3. Fruit is quite expensive compared to a homemade flapjack etc.

4. Dried fruit is really bad for your teeth.

5. /incoherent rantings about parental responsibility, personal liberties, schools getting carried away etc/
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Our school has banned first break snacks other than fruit or veg, since we have been there...8 years.
Dried fruit is also banned for first break snacks. After 2 years they introduced fresh fruit and veg for the lower school provided by the school, which was better, as they were in control then.

My feelings are that they can pull out the government guidelines on healthy snacks and lunches and use this to say they can regulate to what they deem appropriate for the children, just like making them wear appropriate school uniform.

It is a way of forcing parents to provide one of the five a day really isn't it, in the hope that if all the kids are doing the same the stubborn ones will oblige and eat some fruit. So look on it as an enhancement to the whole schools diet, rather than a restriction of your own child. I have to say, I do follow suit and munch an Apple or bag if mini carrots with them if I am helping out, which I would never do at home!

Homemade flap jack is a sheep in wolves clothing btw, or mine is any way...treacle, sugar, butter, processed oats...it is about as bad as you can get...and twice as yummy, and yes I do send it in their lunch boxes, or home made muffins, which is a ditto! :oops:
Last edited by southbucks3 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
tense

Post by tense »

Does the policy extend to school lunches?

My DC used to have their lunchboxes checked for 'unhealthy' offerings whilst the school canteen served up all manner of junk. The hypocrisy used to drive me bonkers :evil:
ginx

Post by ginx »

School lunches at junior school seem to be chips under different names; sauteed potatoes; potato croquettes; potato wedges; fried potato.

Kids have fruit and veg but I'm informed carrots taste as if they've been washed in washing up liquid.

I think a plain biscuit (eg rich tea) mid morning would be much better. My ds2 eats half a slice of toast for breakfast (as I have cereal and two slices of toast) and he runs around all morning, he deserves a biscuit. Who knows, he might concentrate better after a biscuit. :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ridiculous - one jam doughnut should contain enough fruit to be one of the five a day!!!!!! Am happy to eat five if necessary :lol:

Nanny state :evil: :evil:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Homemade flap jack is a sheep in wolves clothing btw
I wasn't giving it as an example of something super healthy, I was suggesting it as something that is cheap and will get you through to lunchtime, which basically is what I am looking for in a mid-morning snack, and I don't think a satsuma/apple/bunch of grapes/carrot sticks fulfil that. Maybe a banana, although I have at least 2 children who would not eat a bashed-about-in-a-schoolbag banana every day.

I'm just glad mine didn't go to primary school.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

These have revolutionised our banana lunchbox experience :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plastic-Banana- ... B007QE0J7M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now