11+ appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
darthjack

11+ appeals

Post by darthjack »

My son failed his 11+ by 6 points (Score 214). On the day on the Verbal reasoning paper he had the onset on tonsillitis, but wanted to do the test. This was the paper that he did not do very well on. The Non verbal paper, he was fit and well and did exceptionally well.
He is 10.7 years old and his year 5 SAT results were:
Reading 5c
Writing & spelling 4c
Maths 4b
We think are very good marks.

The Headmaster told us that he appealed on behalf of 3 pupils, but was reluctant to appeal on our behalf, as the class teacher had told him there were other children more worthy of a place at Grammer School. we are very disapointed with the School not backing us.

We intend to appeal in March.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Louise

Post by Louise »

Do check out Etienne's link in the general 'appeal' section under 'general advice to newcomers'. It's very comprehensive and gives a lot of good advice. I went through the appeal process last year for a school in Grantham so if you have any questions ask away! Good luck.
Louise
darthjack

Post by darthjack »

Thanks for your reply.
Do we have to wait untill march 1st to make an appeal or can we do anything now?
Are last years SATs any good?
Louise

Post by Louise »

My appeal date was end of April. I informed the school that I intended to appeal the Monday after we got the results so it's really important to let the school know that you intend to appeal and they will at some point (it wasn't until early March for us) send you the appeal papers. Our appeal panel did sem to place a lot of importance to the mitigating circumstances, we felt, rather than son's academic ability. if your son was off school with tonsillitis it would be important to have evidence to bring to appeal with regard to this i.e. doctor's letter or letter from head confirming son's absence. I don't really feel I'm in a position to comment about your son's year 5 sats results but i know it would be good if you could provide evidence to show that the year 6 ones are predicted to be 5s (high 5s even better). Try and work on getting more support from headteacher. Can i ask which school you will be appealing to? Do pm me as well if you want to.
Louise