2014 Test .... what is everyone doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

2014 Test .... what is everyone doing?

Post by heartmum »

Suddenly DC is in Y5 .... and September 2014 doesn't seem so far away! :shock:

With DC3 (been through old 11+ system with DC1&2) it's a whole new ball game and the preparation/work to be done so very different!

Not a great story book reader (loves factual magazines) ... finds it takes a while to get into a story and gets bored. My DC could tell you about the Lancaster Bomber, it's mission in the Dam Busters and the speed to height ratio needed to allow the bombs to bounce across the water; but get them to read more than the first chapter of a story book - it's like pulling teeth. But we're getting there.

With learning new words & their meanings, synonyms, antonyms, heteronyms; maths - percentages, fractions, division, problem solving; english - comprehension/missing words; patterns/sequences ... albeit greadully so as not to overwhelm my DC ... it's a hard slog. :shock:

How do others feel?
Heartmum x x x
southbucks3

Re: 2014 Test .... what is everyone doing?

Post by southbucks3 »

Hello,

You seem to be doing all the same things as the rest of us...it does keep it varied st least, and is far more beneficial than mirror codes, and "compound" words of the old vr. Vocab will be your biggest hurdle and syns/ants accounted for a whopping 25% of the marks this year but only about 15% of the exam time, they either knew them or they didn't, no time to work out word types/endings/tenses etc that matched or did not, ie. Techniques employed in the old test.
Of course 2014 could be completely different, and they could hit them with lots more proof reading or shuffled sentences? Who knows?

I am v impressed with your use of heteronyms..I had to look it up: homographs, that are not homophones, for anyone else as ignorant as I!

I have found the slow and steady thread really valuable for support and advice, if it starts going a bit Pete tong, there is always someone to make you feel better over there.

Good luck
SB
heartmum

Re: 2014 Test .... what is everyone doing?

Post by heartmum »

Thanks .. southbucks3 .. I have been a lurker on the slow & steady for a while, getting great tips :)

Now time is moving on .. starting to 'encourage' DC to do more work - but that's easier said and done. To them September 2014 is a life-time away to us parents ... it's like next week :shock:
Heartmum x x x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now