Marks for WGBS ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ClarkyT

Marks for WGBS ?

Post by ClarkyT »

Hi all
New to the forum. Son is in yr 5 and we have aspirations of getting into WGBS .

2 questions :

1. I am trying to equate the scores of 240 , etc into an indicative % score . For example what would a weighted score of 250 mean in % terms for the maths and vr? I am guessing c90% plus in each paper?

2. My son is a July baby and so one of the youngest in the class. I understand that some sort of allowance is made for this. But couldn't find anything on the formula.

Any help with the above 2 questions would be appreciated

Thanks
Cutting42

Re: Marks for WGBS ?

Post by Cutting42 »

Hi ClarkyT

My DS is in year 8 WBGS and did the consortium exams. It is very hard to be specific with marks as the scores are somewhat dependant upon the overall scores of the candidates. Also I do not know the raw scores my DS got however he is a July baby as well and he was scoring in the 95% range leading up to the exam on tests from the tutor and the Bond books. His overall score was 267.

You could deduce that he will need to be in the 90% range but high 80's might get the job done depending on the rest of the DC taking the test.

HTH
ClarkyT

Post by ClarkyT »

Thank you
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

In order to get a standardised score higher than 125 on the Maths paper, your son would need to get a raw score of at least 46/50*. The mean score on the Maths paper is much higher than you'd expect. Within the mark range either side of the WBGS cut-off, each Maths mark lost equates to about 4 points lost on the standardised score. There is plenty of time in the Maths paper and accuracy is key. No silly mistakes!

In order to get a standardised score higher than 125 on the VR, he would need to get a raw score over approx 85/100*. The mean score is lower than it is in the Maths paper. Within the range of marks either side of the WBGS cut-off, 1 VR mark lost equates to approximately 1 point lost in the standardised score. 100 questions in 45 minutes is tricky, especially when you've already had to concentrate through the Maths paper, so speed is important.

* These are guesstimates based on posts shared by those parents who have found out their children's raw scores.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

According to other posters on this forum who have enquired, the consortium don't restandardise each year, so a February-born child getting 45/50 and 90/100 in 2013 will get the same standardised score as a February-born child getting 45/50 and 90/100 in 2014. If this is true, the aptitude of the rest of the cohort will not affect your child's standardised score, but it may affect the cut-off score that year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now